Mesh subfolders? RRS feed

• Question

• I've just installed Live Mesh on a desktop and a laptop.  I've added the "My Docs" folder of the laptop to Live Mesh.  On the desktop, I can see the top-level files and folders of the laptop's My Docs, the subfolders do not seem synced.  For example My Docs -> My Pics -> 2009 ->Jaunary.  Only items within My Docs have been syncronized.

Do I have to make every individual subfolder an independent Live Mesh folder?  I sure hope not. 

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 4:07 PM

Answers

• No, in fact, you can't. Anything within the Live Mesh folder should sync, sub-folders and contents included.
    What do you see when you sign into the Live Desktop and view the My Docs folder?
    How long has Live Mesh been setup on the devices? How large is the total space occupied for \My Docs? How many files in total?
    Any other folders/files in your Mesh?
    When you open the notifier, do you see any conflicts listed?
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    • Marked as answer by Tom K_M Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:05 PM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 4:42 PM

All replies

• No, in fact, you can't. Anything within the Live Mesh folder should sync, sub-folders and contents included.
    What do you see when you sign into the Live Desktop and view the My Docs folder?
    How long has Live Mesh been setup on the devices? How large is the total space occupied for \My Docs? How many files in total?
    Any other folders/files in your Mesh?
    When you open the notifier, do you see any conflicts listed?
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    • Marked as answer by Tom K_M Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:05 PM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 4:42 PM
  • Stephen - Thank you for your reply.  I was too hasty to post my question.  I revisited my desktop and it was furiously copying the contents of the subfolders.

Patience is a virtue, I guess.

Consider the case closed.  Thanks.
    Tom
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 4:58 PM
  • Excellent news. :-)
    Thanks for confirming that it is working as expected.
    One thing I might not have been clear enough about in my original reply - when you include a folder in your Live Mesh, you cannot exclude a folder or files within that top level folder. It should also prevent you from adding a sub-folder within a Mesh folder as another Mesh folder - recursive folders are not allowed.
    So, that's why I'm glad to read that the sub-folders are indeed synchronizing as they should be.
    -steve
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:44 PM