Home Server Remote Printing Problmes RRS feed

• Question

• I'm remoting into a Windows 7 Pro through a Windows Home Server, The os on the workstation i'm useing is Xp Pro W/SP3
    I can not see the printer setup on the XP side.  I have changed to printer drivers to a HP Laserjet with no success.
    I have remoted into a differant Home Server with the remote station being a Windows Vista and I can print remotley.
    I think the problem is in the Windows 7 box but I do not know how to fix it.
    Thanks for any help
    Dave 
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 6:27 PM

Answers

• You will need to make sure you have appropriate drivers for printers you want to use for remote printing on the computer you're printing remotely from. So in this case you'll need to install drivers for your HP Laserjet on your Windows 7 computer.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 26, 2010 1:21 AM
  • No, I said what I meant. The drivers are already on his XP computer; he needs to install drivers for the printer on the Windows 7 computer as well.

Q.: Why does the OP need to install drivers on his Windows 7 computer?

A.: You need the drivers at both ends. On the XP machine (the local PC) you need the drivers because that's where the printer is connected and where you normally print. On the Windows 7 PC (the remote machine accessed through the Windows Home Server Remote Desktop proxy) you need drivers because otherwise your local PC will publish a printer that the remote PC doesn't have drivers for. The result is one of those annoying errors in the system event log with the source TermServDevices for each printer that doesn't have an appropriate driver...
    Friday, February 26, 2010 5:02 AM

All replies

• Can you print normally if you are sat in front of the Windows 7 Machine?
    --
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 2:04 PM
  • YES - It works...
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:22 PM
  • You will need to make sure you have appropriate drivers for printers you want to use for remote printing on the computer you're printing remotely from. So in this case you'll need to install drivers for your HP Laserjet on your Windows 7 computer.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 1:21 AM
    I think you meant his XP client, Ken.  :)
    Friday, February 26, 2010 1:58 AM
  • Actually either way will do.

If you go to Printers in Control Panel on your Windows 7 Machine and right click on the printer, select sharing - there is a button for additional drivers.

--
    Friday, February 26, 2010 2:50 AM
  • No, I said what I meant. The drivers are already on his XP computer; he needs to install drivers for the printer on the Windows 7 computer as well.

A.: You need the drivers at both ends. On the XP machine (the local PC) you need the drivers because that's where the printer is connected and where you normally print. On the Windows 7 PC (the remote machine accessed through the Windows Home Server Remote Desktop proxy) you need drivers because otherwise your local PC will publish a printer that the remote PC doesn't have drivers for. The result is one of those annoying errors in the system event log with the source TermServDevices for each printer that doesn't have an appropriate driver...
    Friday, February 26, 2010 5:02 AM

You're right.  I was thinking the fact that he said he could print locally (at the Win7 client) meant the drivers are already installed on that client, but forgot to take into account that that would be a different printer sitting next to the Win7 client than the one sitting next to the XP client (unless he's moving the same printer back and forth, in which case it should work as it is).

I think I need some sleep... :)
    Friday, February 26, 2010 5:50 AM