XP Connector Install Fail @ 95% Net Framework V4: SOLUTION RRS feed

• General discussion

• This post is to help others who might be experiencing the same problem. It is not a IIS Internet Information Sharing service problem as microsoft help would indicate for this failure.

Connector Install LOG: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs connectcomputer.log

Indicated a problem with the service:  Net.Tcp Port Sharing

This service would not start....it would indicate error or just show starting. i.e. My Computer, Right Click, Manage, Services

To work around this I was able to restart the service by replacing the SMSvcHost.exe file and the SMSvcHost.exe.config files found in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319 with the files found in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation.

Once I had the servcie started the Connector install completed sucessfully.

I personally had this problem on three XP Pro clients and one XP Media Center 2005 Client, it worked on all! 

Hope this helps somone else....took me 20hrs to get to it, so much for user friendly WHS (I am unable to recommend WHS to freinds and family at this time due to this horrible first time user experience).

Friday, August 26, 2011 2:37 PM