Problem with Windows live onecare forgetting subscription RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I installed windows live onecare on my computer in August 2009.  It is now the end of September 2009, I've been using it for a little more than a month. Today the program says my subscription is expired and it is time to renew!  All functions are gone, including the help: about windows live onecare function.  Why would it work, then suddenly demand a new subscription?  It was supposed to be good for a year, at least that is what it says on the box.  I purchased the software at Staples.  I tried to go and register it again, but the product key will not be accepted.   Probably since I used it in August.  There are no help numbers or anywhere for me to go but this forum.  Please help.  Any ideas out there?
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Tuesday, September 29, 2009 3:11 AM (From:Windows Live OneCare Anti-Virus)
    Monday, September 28, 2009 6:27 PM

Answers

• Here is a thought... Qwest internet comes with a free version of Windows live onecare...  I recently cancelled my Qwest service and changed to comcast.  Although Qwest HAD a free version, I did not use it.  I used a boxed version I bought at Staples., with a year long subscription.  Could Qwest have cancelled my subscription to Windows live onecare?  even though I did not get it through them?

Yes, Qwest most likely terminated your subscription when you canceled your Qwest subscription. Since that should not have happened, pelase contact support for help with getting the subscription reinstated. Note that there have been a few other reports of this over the years, so your speculation is the most likely cause if the LiveID you used for the OneCare activation was your Qwest LiveID, too.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 12:37 PM

All replies

• Here is a thought... Qwest internet comes with a free version of Windows live onecare...  I recently cancelled my Qwest service and changed to comcast.  Although Qwest HAD a free version, I did not use it.  I used a boxed version I bought at Staples., with a year long subscription.  Could Qwest have cancelled my subscription to Windows live onecare?  even though I did not get it through them?
    Monday, September 28, 2009 9:14 PM
  • It is possible that you set up an account using your product key but did not activate One Care on your computer. Open One Care, select "Subscribe" and when asked for a Live ID enter the Live ID and password used to set up your account and One Care will activate.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 3:10 AM

Yes, Qwest most likely terminated your subscription when you canceled your Qwest subscription. Since that should not have happened, pelase contact support for help with getting the subscription reinstated. Note that there have been a few other reports of this over the years, so your speculation is the most likely cause if the LiveID you used for the OneCare activation was your Qwest LiveID, too.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 12:37 PM