About this onecare not starting up! RRS feed

• Question

• I too have had problems with onecare starting up after having it for two weeks.  The first two weeks was fine and then suddenly about a week or two ago Onecare would not start up at least not in the system tray.  using Control- Alt- Delete/Pocesses does not reveal any Onecare events running when this happens.

I tried a few tricks I know from my MCP classes for which I am liscensed, and I found nothing that suggests that Onecare is running at any level. I decided to see if there was a flaw in the startup sequence by turning the computer on and letting it sit for an hour. Low and behold after about twenty minutes of letting my computer just sit there the icon finally turned on and the red security badge went away.

Since I tried that I found that nine out of ten tries Onecare does not seem to want to start until all other services and softwares that run at startup have been started, updated and relaxed into their processes, and then (and only then) will the Onecare icon appear.  the other one time it fdoes not start at all.  As well I have a permanent connection to the internet whcih I have never had trouble with as it was always within the first three things that load.  Now with Onecare 2,0 my internet is the last thing to connect before Onecare and my computer is unprotected for those twenty minutes with the security badge blowing it's ugly balloon up at me till it appears.

The startup script is lacking and should include some sort of pausing of other softwares to load until Oncare has started and then followed by the other software and internet connections.

Avast free antivirus has the feature which lets you choose if you want it to start regularly or to wait till all other processes are finished before loading.  What is the big trouble.  Read the startup script and fix the thing.  Having a permenent connection and no antivirus for twenty minutes will end up costing employers and people time and money and they will eventually uninstall the software ask for a refund and use the free versions like Avast which gives you these options for free (I will state again.)

Anyhow my question is this. Since this is a paid service when will this be fixed, and I would like a response in time please.  Yes I know it sounds hard , but really how hard is it to rewrite the sturtup scipt and usher it through as an automatic update.

Paul

Thursday, January 17, 2008 12:32 AM

Answers

• First of all, 20 minutes to startup is not normal, so there is a problem that needs to be addressed, other than startup order.

A refresh is scheduled to be released on or about 1/31 according to reports I read on cNet, but that wasn't reported here or on any official Microsoft site that I am aware of.

You should be contacting support to have your problem investigated further.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve

Thursday, January 17, 2008 2:46 AM

All replies

• First of all, 20 minutes to startup is not normal, so there is a problem that needs to be addressed, other than startup order.

A refresh is scheduled to be released on or about 1/31 according to reports I read on cNet, but that wasn't reported here or on any official Microsoft site that I am aware of.

You should be contacting support to have your problem investigated further.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve

Thursday, January 17, 2008 2:46 AM
  • Thank you but the problem is not about my subscription.  I still have till 9/2008 before it has to be renewed.

The issue is the same as many I have read here in that Onecare does not startup when the machine is turned on.  Once it is up and running twenty minutes or so later it is in full use mode and it states that my subscription is up to date.  Please re-read my original post.  the problem is that "IT WILL NOT Start up as it should or as it used to before the upgrade.  Before the upgrade Live onecar was about the first program to turn on after it is most definately the last.

like many others I have read here this is a problem with the program not starting up when the computer has been turned on.  Perhaaps I clicked the wrong button and made a new thread.  I intended my information to be applied to section that discusses Onecare and it's startup issue along with all the other reports of it happening.  There is no problem with my subscription

Thank you,  PaulMTL

PS... You do a very good job at answering questions here and I was really hoping to find answers to the problem as I do not like dealing with support because I end up getting emails about the same thing for month's after it is over.  Even after following the guidelines.  I just thought that you may have an insight and sure enough yopu did with your annoinccement that an update will be released on or about 1/31/08.  As well I was thinking that some of the other people expreiencing the same p[roblem may have the same luck as I by waiting the required time for Onecare to startup.

Apologies for posting in the wrong thread.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 7:21 AM
  • Starting a new thread was fine.

My original reply was not meant to imply that your problem was subscription related. I simply pasted a boilerplate instruction for how to contact support, which from the PC I was at last night, includes that bit about what to do if the support flow can't validate your subscription. Note that I hate the support flow.

Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, I understand what your problem is and I agree that it is not normal. It should not take up to 20 minutes to function properly.

Look at this post and confirm that all the listed services are starting automatically. http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2523777&SiteID=2

If all of those services are running, then there is potentially something on your PC that is conflicting with OneCare. I can't tell you what that might be, hence the recommendation to contact support.

I'm hopeful that your problem (and so many others!) with startup issues are resolved with the forthcoming patch and I'm also hopeful that it is released as reported. I know it is in development, but I have no details of what the patch will target other than a variety of issues that have not yet been identified with the incremental updates since the original 2.0 release in November.

No need to apologize. As you can see by perusing the forums, there are many, many duplicate threads for the same issues. I find it easier to leave them be in most cases. :-)

I think I'll move this thread to the update topic, however.

If you do contact support, please let us know how you make out.

-steve

Thursday, January 17, 2008 2:22 PM
  • hello again,

I did not contact support , but I did find a quicker fix for the problem.  When I boot up my computer I wait about two minutes before actually selecting and loging on to my profile (there is only one, but I have a passward on it.)  When I start up in this way Onecare is already loaded when the desktop opens.

It isn't a fix, but it will do till the update.

paul

Friday, January 25, 2008 5:11 PM
  •  PaulMTL wrote:

hello again,

I did not contact support , but I did find a quicker fix for the problem.  When I boot up my computer I wait about two minutes before actually selecting and loging on to my profile (there is only one, but I have a passward on it.)  When I start up in this way Onecare is already loaded when the desktop opens.

It isn't a fix, but it will do till the update.

paul

Thanks for sharing this, Paul. Yes, a good workaround....

-steve

Friday, January 25, 2008 5:14 PM