none
SyncToy thinks files are missing on the target disk RRS feed

• Question

• Windows XP, both source and destination (left and right pane) disks are 1TB. Source disk D: is internal SATA, destination disk K: is a portable eSATA drive (alsways mounted to K:)
    Both use the NTFS filesystem. Contribute mode. Don't check file content.

I am trying to use synctoy to backup my entire media collection, this includes my CD collection (ripped as MP3s), a bunch of audiobooks (ripped as MP3s) and photos.
    The transfer is setup to Contribute since I may delete media from the source disk, but still want it available on the destination disk (for example I may delete an audiobook afterI listen to it, but still want to retain a cop on the external disk)
    Everytime I run a sync, I have a number of folders that SyncToy think need to be recreated on the destination drive even though they are present there. When I do a Preview, it shows those folder a "NEW"

I changed the log to "verbose" but it still doesn't give me much information as to why this happens.

I compared one file on the source and on the destination (proving that it relaly exist on the destination), they are the same name, size, but he timestamp info is as follows:

LEFT                                                                                         RIGHT
    Created: Saturday, May 16, 2009, 7:49:14 PM                              Created: Saturday, January 10, 2009, 12:22:24 AM
    Modified: Monday, January 05, 2009, 4:34:31 PM                          Modified: Monday, January 05, 2009, 4:34:31 PM
    Accessed: Today, July 12, 2009, 8:04:08 PM                                Accessed: Today, July 12, 2009, 8:02:10 PM

so both files have the same "modified" date, but different creation date. The right side file actually has a creaation date earlier than the left side (more on that in a moment) and both creation dates are later than the "modified" date.
    I know at least this particular file used to be on the source disk D:, then I was getting low on space, so I moved it to a different disk C:, then at a later date I moved the file ( well the entire directory containing the file) back to D:  From the dates I'm *guessing* I may have recorded this file on Jan 5 2009, ran SyncToy for the first time on Jan 10 2009, moved the file to C: later put it back on D: on May 16th?

Either way, I'm not sure how SynToy uses time stamps, is it going to get confused by a "modified" date earlier than the creation date? how about the fact that he right side creation date is earlier than the left side?

I dates do matter, how do I fix this? Is there a way to "touch" dates on the target or source to resync things?

Since I'm in Contribute mode, I can't just wipe the right side and start over, or I may lose files that got contributed then deleted...

Monday, July 13, 2009 2:38 AM