Replacing a non genuine version of Office - will i lose all existing stored data? RRS feed

• Question

• It would appear I have a non genuine copy of Microsoft Office Pro following download of the Office genuine Validation download. I am now looking at purchasing a genuine copy of say the Enterprise version - if i do, will I lose all existing data stored on Word, Excel and Access?

Will I encounter any issues?

Do I need to remove the non genuine copy at some stage?

Do I need to consider anything else?

Thanks
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:35 PM

Answers

• Hello npa2310,

Sorry to see that you have become a victim of software counterfeiting.  If you purchased Office 2003 Professional thinking you were buying genuine retail license for Office Professional for consumers, please return the software to the place of purchase for replacement or a full refund.

You can also review the Office Genuine Advantage FAQ to see if you qualify for the discounted or complimentary replacement program called the Office Genuine Offer:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=4ba10af9-ffaa-4cb9-9af4-6aff8a220262#ID0EKNAC

Regarding your questions:

"...will I lose all existing data stored on Word, Excel and Access?"  The default settings for virtually all Windows applications save documents generated by programs in the My Documents folder (Windows XP) or the Documents folder (Windows Vista, 7).  Uninstalling the program that generated these documents will not alter, delete or remove the documents.  But, (and you've herad this one before, I'm sure) it's ALWAYS a good idea to have a current backup of any data that's important to you, just in case, especially before you make any major change to your computer.

"Will I encounter any issues?"  Here in the forums we encourage people to restart twice after uninstalling the old nongenuine Office to ensure that the validation cache is cleared.

"Do I need to remove the non genuine copy at some stage?"  Yes, uninstall the nongenuine copy as the first step in this process, and restart twice...that helps to keep things from getting mixed up.

"Do I need to consider anything else?"  Yes!  Be VERY careful about what you purchase, because there is a lot of counterfeit software out there.  Educate yourself on what the Genuine Article looks like, and what the fakes look like, by visiting www.howtotell.com
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, September 14, 2009 7:39 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 4:11 AM

All replies

• Hello npa2310,

Sorry to see that you have become a victim of software counterfeiting.  If you purchased Office 2003 Professional thinking you were buying genuine retail license for Office Professional for consumers, please return the software to the place of purchase for replacement or a full refund.

You can also review the Office Genuine Advantage FAQ to see if you qualify for the discounted or complimentary replacement program called the Office Genuine Offer:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=4ba10af9-ffaa-4cb9-9af4-6aff8a220262#ID0EKNAC

Regarding your questions:

"...will I lose all existing data stored on Word, Excel and Access?"  The default settings for virtually all Windows applications save documents generated by programs in the My Documents folder (Windows XP) or the Documents folder (Windows Vista, 7).  Uninstalling the program that generated these documents will not alter, delete or remove the documents.  But, (and you've herad this one before, I'm sure) it's ALWAYS a good idea to have a current backup of any data that's important to you, just in case, especially before you make any major change to your computer.

"Will I encounter any issues?"  Here in the forums we encourage people to restart twice after uninstalling the old nongenuine Office to ensure that the validation cache is cleared.

"Do I need to remove the non genuine copy at some stage?"  Yes, uninstall the nongenuine copy as the first step in this process, and restart twice...that helps to keep things from getting mixed up.

"Do I need to consider anything else?"  Yes!  Be VERY careful about what you purchase, because there is a lot of counterfeit software out there.  Educate yourself on what the Genuine Article looks like, and what the fakes look like, by visiting www.howtotell.com
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, September 14, 2009 7:39 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 4:11 AM
  • Hi npa2310,

In addition to educating yourself on what fake software looks like, I highly recommend only purchasing software (whether it be Microsoft software or anyone elses) from a retailer you trust. You may be able to get a lower price somewere else, but you aren't saving any money if the cheap software turns out to be non-genuine, malware filled or just plain non-functional and you end up having to buy the software again.

Thanks,
    Darin MS
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:39 PM