WHS Home page RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

How about a home page where the family using WHS could save links and information they all use. A bit like a home intranet

Pete

Monday, April 9, 2007 9:21 AM

Answers

• Well, WHS runs IIS, so all the functionality of that web server is available. You can easily add virtual directories. If the content is going to be large, or is going to change regularly, you may want to put the source for the virtual directory on a network share rather than under C:\inetpub. You can even make links to your sites (external) or applicaitons (internal virtual directories) available though the WHS remote access web site. The SDK tells you how.
    Monday, April 9, 2007 12:22 PM

All replies

• Well, WHS runs IIS, so all the functionality of that web server is available. You can easily add virtual directories. If the content is going to be large, or is going to change regularly, you may want to put the source for the virtual directory on a network share rather than under C:\inetpub. You can even make links to your sites (external) or applicaitons (internal virtual directories) available though the WHS remote access web site. The SDK tells you how.
    Monday, April 9, 2007 12:22 PM
  • I added Windows Sharepoint Services 3.0 to mine.  I created a nice little "HomePoint" that includes a shared calendar, To-Do-Lists that sync with Outlook and some picture and document libraries.  After I did that though, I realized that I was filling up the 10GB SYS volume and might end up creating problems for myself.
    Monday, April 9, 2007 4:01 PM
  • I have no experience with WSS, but I believe there should be a way to install it with the database located someplace other than the system drive. It might be an advanced option in setup.
    Monday, April 9, 2007 7:24 PM
  •  

Take a look at this thread.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1385318&SiteID=50

Anyway look at the "HOME DIRECTORY' tab on the properties page  for the Sharepoint-80 website in IIS.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 3:07 AM
  •  Athena wrote:
    I added Windows Sharepoint Services 3.0 to mine.  I created a nice little "HomePoint" that includes a shared calendar, To-Do-Lists that sync with Outlook and some picture and document libraries.  After I did that though, I realized that I was filling up the 10GB SYS volume and might end up creating problems for myself.

Athena, if you have an old 4~10gb drive lying around and a spot to plug it in you can use the "Disk management" snapin to format it and assign it a drive letter. choose somthing down the line like Q or R  (this leaves space for additional drives to be added to the storage pool and allows them to remain in logical order but it doesn't really matter what the new drive letter is)

it will sit there happily without being added to the backup storage pool and you can just copy the sharepoint to the new drive. I stopped the sharepoint website. Copied the entire c:\inetpub to the new drive, opened IIS admin. clicked on properties for the sharepoint web, on the home directory tab i was carefull to change just the drive letter of the path and restarted the sharepoint site all worked fine, It's fast because it remains on the server and it allows storage for documents and pictures under sharepoint. with out using up the WHS system drive. after you restart the Sharepoint web you will probably have to run the sharepoint product and service's wizard to pick up the changes

It will also give you a place to install 3rd party apps or addins I.E. install new programs to Q:\Program Files instead of C:\Program Files

Have fun!

Rex

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 5:51 PM
  • Actually, I realized that Ken was right: I had to reinstall and when clicked the the "Advanced" options during setup I just located the data on my DATA volume.   Now I can either use the built-in backup option in SharePoint or just mark the file for duplication in WHS.

This is working pretty well for me now. 

Monday, April 16, 2007 12:48 AM
  •  Athena wrote:

Actually, I realized that Ken was right: I had to reinstall and when clicked the the "Advanced" options during setup I just located the data on my DATA volume.   Now I can either use the built-in backup option in SharePoint or just mark the file for duplication in WHS.

This is working pretty well for me now. 

I did the same through advanced options during install. I chose another drive because I did not want to place anything on the d drive that was not in the shares directory, But all in all i love the Sharepoint setup especially the shared outlook calendar

Enjoy!

Rex

Monday, April 16, 2007 2:55 AM
  • Rex

gald to see you got it to work.

However again I was curious that you had to reinstal Sharepoint. I m no expert in Sharepoint far from it(very far) and I may have taken an incorrect route to move the shaepoint data off the System Drive, so i welcome any views.

I simply looked at the HOME DIRECTORY for Sharepoint-80 in IIS, copied the folder to a share on the data parttion and then pointed the Home Directory to the new location.

Sharepoint Home Directory was install in C:\intetpub\wwwroot\wss\vitualdirectories\80  so I copied the wwwroot folder to a share on the Data Partion and then pointed tne Sharepoint-80 :home directory to the new loacation by clicking "browse" and locating on the Data drive..

so my new location is D:\shares\Sharepoint\wwroot\wss\vitualdirectories\80. s

Seems to work will see ifI develop any problems.

Monday, April 16, 2007 4:13 AM
  •  ROUZA wrote:

Rex

gald to see you got it to work.

However again I was curious that you had to reinstal Sharepoint. I m no expert in Sharepoint far from it(very far) and I may have taken an incorrect route to move the shaepoint data off the System Drive, so i welcome any views.

I simply looked at the HOME DIRECTORY for Sharepoint-80 in IIS, copied the folder to a share on the data parttion and then pointed the Home Directory to the new location.

Sharepoint Home Directory was install in C:\intetpub\wwwroot\wss\vitualdirectories\80  so I copied the wwwroot folder to a share on the Data Partion and then pointed tne Sharepoint-80 :home directory to the new loacation by clicking "browse" and locating on the Data drive..

so my new location is D:\shares\Sharepoint\wwroot\wss\vitualdirectories\80. s

Seems to work will see ifI develop any problems.

I moved it the same way the first time and I had no problems at all. Sharepoint ran fine. I did a reinstall of the server because The backup connector failed after a complete secondary harddrive failure in the storage pool. after the new WHS install I reinstalled sharepoint also, This time during setup I chose the advanced options and put it directly onto the I:/ drive which is Not part of the storage pool (but is shadow copied).

I did this for 2 reasons, the

1: C:/ system Partition is too small if you add other programs and start adding other content for family Websites (my son is learning the basics at school using Frontpage and his page has lots of Pics and has already grown to 45Mb)

2: I wanted the Web sites to be on a local drive of the server rather than a network share for both speed and security. (There are no more Shares on the Clients they all use the server shares.)

I decided not to use the shares on D:/ because I did could not see that the SQL datbase was there and I think, that although the website files and App pool are backed up the data base would not be. I dont know if this is true or not But I'm going to find thid out and I'll Report back

Rex GEissinger

Monday, April 16, 2007 2:29 PM
  • I didn't get a good look at this during my lunch break, however, I was wondering how to get the default WHS web page back and move the WSS to something like http://(server)/sharepoint.

Even leaving WSS the default site and moving the WHS home page to something like /home or /whs would be good.

I'm just not terribly familiar with IIS, so I figured I'd ask here (see if there is something I missed, or any pointers. Smile  )

Thanks!
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 5:04 PM
  • Peter

read this thread as completely as possible it will help.

http://forums.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver/showpost.aspx?postid=1385318&siteid=50&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=0

NOT a good idea to mess with WHS website,you should return it to its default settings. There will be issues with the connector software and adding PC to your server and remote access: you can break core functions of WHS.

There have been different approaches to solving this problem and my solution is posted in the thread mentioned above, however please review the entire thread and look at some of the other posting on this subject. There were other solution and you can decide which is best for you.

Please post your results.

Good luck.

You will be as pleased as I am with the results.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 5:39 PM
  • I've created a feedback suggestion for this issue.  I'll post the link to it here, plus start a new thread for this.

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=271708

Vote it up, folks! Smile
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 5:58 PM
  •   Good for you.

I guess one more will not hurt.

If you have not posted your "new" thread as yet, search the forum and you will see at least 3 or 4 threads on this topic.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 6:57 PM
  • Too late now. Sad
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 7:08 PM
  •  michrech wrote:
    I didn't get a good look at this during my lunch break, however, I was wondering how to get the default WHS web page back and move the WSS to something like http://(server)/sharepoint.
    I couldn't figure out how to do that either; once I installed WSS, I lost the ability to RDP into the administrative desktop.   

I think it's clear we'll need a WHS add-in to manage the WSS site and provide a bit of tailoring.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 7:21 PM
  •  ROUZA wrote:

Well to clarify:  I didn't re-install Sharepoint to just to make that change.   I had to re-install WHS to troubleshoot an entirely different problem and when I did that, I re-installed WSS and had the opportunity to change the setup defaults.

All of this is just beta experimentation.  If WSS is going to be a viable option for the WHS customer, it will need to be tailored and accessible as a proper WHS add-in.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 7:26 PM