Newbie Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Ive been tasked with exploring options for handling certain Dynamics events, packaging these into calls (or some form of REST messages) and I know very little about Dynamics.

The solution would be deployed by installing <something-to-be-written> onto the machine which houses a firm's Dynamics CRM server components, and would use HTTP to talk to (a form of REST) a separate webservice running elsewhere. 

What is the approach to doing this? is it writting some form of "add-in" that one installs in Dynamics or what?

IN essence we'd be detecting certain kinds of "events" ocurring in Dynamics, notifiyng an external system, and with the response from that system possibly updating/adding something to Dynamics.

I'm very experienced with Visual Stduio and C# just very new to Dynamics...

Thanks.

Cap'n

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 9:36 PM

All replies

• So there are two places where events occur.

1. The UI layer. That is in the GUI that user uses. Basically, they are kind of HTML events like, ribbon button clicked, picklist's selected value changed, a textbox's text changed, etc.

2. On the server side. That is when a record gets created, updated, deleted. And there are some other types of events as well like an opportunity is converted to lead, etc.

For the first one, you would need to use JavaScript and REST calls to your outside services.

For the server side events, you would need to use plugins/workflows that you can code using C#. You can also update the system from here.

Ahmad Pirani Green Beacon Solutions

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 11:23 PM
  • OK that's helpful, now I need to ask what can I get from Microsoft to help me test a solution that requires server side event detection and processing? Does the Dynamics SDK include a full client/server setup one can use? Must one have a suitable MSDN subscription to get the components needed to test in a real-world client/server setting?

We'll be detecting/processing server side events for sure, the creation of a contact for example must be detected and forwarded to another system, I imagine I can write the server event processing readily in C# and have that code connect/interact with a remote web service we have.

Again, any info is greatly appreciated.

Cap'n

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 12:56 AM