WinXP Home Retail to WinXP Home OEM using KeyUpdateTool.exe and an OEM Product Key? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a friend whose Hewlett-Packard Pavilion needs to have Windows XP Home reinstalled from scratch because of a hard drive replacement.

The original version of Windows XP Home was apparently the OEM version, since the product key sticker on the computer case says so and Windows was factory-installed.

There isn't unfortunately any installation CD-ROM disk with the HP-customized OEM Windows XP Home available; I don't know if there ever was, there might have been a recovery partition on the original hard drvie instead. I know that I can possibly order a recovery/installation CD-ROM from HP tech support, but I'm trying to manage without doing so.

My question now is: If a manage to get hold of an installation CD-ROM of the Retail version of the Windows XP Home, will it accept the HP-specific OEM product key that is on the sticker? My suspicion is that the product key will not be accepted by the installer if I enter it during Windows' installation phase, but will I be able to enter it later after installation using the KeyUpdateTool.exe utility? In other words, is it possible to convert WinXP Retail Home to WinXP OEM Home with KeyUpdateTool.exe, if a valid OEM product key is available?

Follow-up question (provided that the product key can be used): Is the product key language/region/locale -specific? If the original OEM installation was a localized version of Windows XP Home, can the new Retail installation be an English-language version, and the product key will still work ok? Or must the new Retail installation be of the same localization that the original OEM installation was?
    Friday, September 26, 2008 11:59 PM

Answers

• tsvk,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum. Replacing the hard drive and reinstalling the OS will probably require telephone activation. Also, you will need to contact your computer manufacturer to obtain recovery media if you do not have yours or the hidden partition.

Using a retail copy on pc 1 (the one where the hard drive was replaced) could de-validate the already installed retail copy which is on pc 2. To prevent those issues from occuring, you should contact your OEM for recovery media.

You wrote: 
    Follow-up question (provided that the product key can be used): Is the product key language/region/locale -specific? If the original OEM installation was a localized version of Windows XP Home, can the new Retail installation be an English-language version, and the product key will still work ok? Or must the new Retail installation be of the same localization that the original OEM installation was?

I did not understand your bolded words. What I can say is if you buy a Retail copy, you can move that from computer to computer, but you can only used that OS on 1 computer, not multiple. OEM licenses can only stay on the computer it was purchased on.

To make things easier for you, I would definitely recommend you contacting your OEM manufacturer.

For more information about Software Licensing, see the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/

Thank you for visiting the WGA program forum.

Rick, MS
    • Marked as answer by RickImAPC Sunday, September 28, 2008 7:57 PM
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 3:04 AM
  • tsvk,

My question was about if it is possible to do a new Windows XP Home installation using a Windows XP Home Retail CD-ROM, and then activate and use that installation using the Windows XP Home OEM product key that is on the sticker on casing of my friend's HP Pavilion computer.

The answer you are looking for in my response. I do not support XP CD swapping to resolve issues. There is a major potential for validation problems which goes beyond a simple installation and product key input. 

I never said anything about in any way using the Windows XP Home Retail product key that belongs to the Windows XP Home Retail CD-ROM;

I understand this. I didn't say you were planning on doing this practice. What I did say was "Using a retail copy on pc 1 (the one where the hard drive was replaced) could de-validate the already installed retail copy which is on pc 2. To prevent those issues from occuring, you should contact your OEM for recovery media." - referring the installation bits from the cd.

I only plan to use the Retail CD-ROM for installation as the installation media and then use the OEM product key with it. So what I plan to do will not de-validate any other Windows XP Home Retail installation activation, since the Retail product key that belongs with the Retail CD-ROM will not be used anywhere at any time. 

This above is assuming the bits for Retail and OEM bits are the same. Which they may not be. I do not support Microsoft's validation/product key work-arounds.

I hope you understand what I am trying to tell you. My previous post on this thread gave you what I believe you should do.

As for your last question, see my previous four sentences.

In short, contact your OEM for recovery media to curb validation problems.

Rick, MS
    • Edited by RickImAPC Sunday, September 28, 2008 8:00 PM FMT TXT
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 7:57 PM

All replies

• tsvk,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum. Replacing the hard drive and reinstalling the OS will probably require telephone activation. Also, you will need to contact your computer manufacturer to obtain recovery media if you do not have yours or the hidden partition.

Using a retail copy on pc 1 (the one where the hard drive was replaced) could de-validate the already installed retail copy which is on pc 2. To prevent those issues from occuring, you should contact your OEM for recovery media.

You wrote: 

I did not understand your bolded words. What I can say is if you buy a Retail copy, you can move that from computer to computer, but you can only used that OS on 1 computer, not multiple. OEM licenses can only stay on the computer it was purchased on.

To make things easier for you, I would definitely recommend you contacting your OEM manufacturer.

For more information about Software Licensing, see the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/

Rick, MS
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 3:04 AM
  • Hello Rick, and thanks for replying.

Since you did not understand me completely, I will try to explain in a better way:

My question was about if it is possible to do a new Windows XP Home installation using a Windows XP Home Retail CD-ROM, and then activate and use that installation using the Windows XP Home OEM product key that is on the sticker on casing of my friend's HP Pavilion computer.

I never said anything about in any way using the Windows XP Home Retail product key that belongs to the Windows XP Home Retail CD-ROM; I only plan to use the Retail CD-ROM for installation as the installation media and then use the OEM product key with it. So what I plan to do will not de-validate any other Windows XP Home Retail installation activation, since the Retail product key that belongs with the Retail CD-ROM will not be used anywhere at any time.

So I will ask again: Can I install Windows XP Home from a Retail CD-ROM disk and then activate and use it with an OEM product key? Either directly, or by the help of the KeyUpdateTool.exe utility?

As for my other question: with the word "localization" I mean "translation" or "language version". The original version Windows XP Home OEM that my friend had installed was in the Finnish language, and now the Widnows XP Home Retail CD-ROM that I plan to use for reinstalling is an English language version. So my question regarding this was: Are product keys language-specific? Will a product key for a Finnish Windows work with an English Windows installation?
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 2:22 PM
  • tsvk,

The answer you are looking for in my response. I do not support XP CD swapping to resolve issues. There is a major potential for validation problems which goes beyond a simple installation and product key input. 

I never said anything about in any way using the Windows XP Home Retail product key that belongs to the Windows XP Home Retail CD-ROM;

I understand this. I didn't say you were planning on doing this practice. What I did say was "Using a retail copy on pc 1 (the one where the hard drive was replaced) could de-validate the already installed retail copy which is on pc 2. To prevent those issues from occuring, you should contact your OEM for recovery media." - referring the installation bits from the cd.

I only plan to use the Retail CD-ROM for installation as the installation media and then use the OEM product key with it. So what I plan to do will not de-validate any other Windows XP Home Retail installation activation, since the Retail product key that belongs with the Retail CD-ROM will not be used anywhere at any time. 

This above is assuming the bits for Retail and OEM bits are the same. Which they may not be. I do not support Microsoft's validation/product key work-arounds.

I hope you understand what I am trying to tell you. My previous post on this thread gave you what I believe you should do.

As for your last question, see my previous four sentences.

In short, contact your OEM for recovery media to curb validation problems.

Rick, MS
    • Edited by RickImAPC Sunday, September 28, 2008 8:00 PM FMT TXT
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 7:57 PM