"Other" files in OneCare Backup ? RRS feed

• Question

• I have noticed when configuring Backup that the Other files on some systems are larger than all of the other categories combined. On one system it was 58 GB of a 64 GB backup! I don't recognize the names of the files or the file types in the long list intended to be backed up. I did not include the Other category for that system in the backup configuration.

What files are being put into the Other category? Should they be included?

Thanks.

Thursday, November 6, 2008 10:06 PM

Answers

• The Other files are quite simply everything 'Other' than all the rest of the categories.

The reason you don't recognize them is that most of the common things like Pictures, Music, etc, would all be covered by the major specific categories. So 'Other' really means everything else that's left over.

The reason this category is so large is that there can be many file types that don't fit one of the standard categories. In recent versions of OneCare the Other category is selected for backup by default so no potentially important data files will be missed if you simply accept the defaults. However, as you've noticed this can be quite huge, so it may be best to disable this group if you're certain you don't require any of the files it contains.

OneCareBear

Friday, November 7, 2008 6:25 AM