none
New replies to "read" threads don't mark threads as "unread"

General discussion

• During the day, I like to bring up the forums and "see what's happened" since I was last here.

With the new forum format, I can't quite do that.  Only completely new threads are flagged as "unread" and shown in bold.  If there's  a new reply to an old thread, it will be sorted appropriately, but won't be bolded so that I can easily see the activity that's occurred since my last review of the forum.

I'd like to ask if it's possible to show threads as "unread" (in bold) if there are _any_ new posts in the thread.

Todd McDermid's Blog
    Monday, December 15, 2008 6:43 PM

All replies

• I have suggested in the past (to total silence) that there should be three states not two.

The present two can be retained but a third state (Bold Italic or Just Italic) would indicate a thread where you had read the thread earlier but in which there were now new posts since you read it last.

As I say, this suggestion has had no response at all here, but I live in hopes.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 4:59 AM
  • you can see threads with unread messages by using the "Unread" filter button above
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 5:11 AM
  • I really like that suggestion, Mike.  Perhaps with a "# posts unread" in each thread as well.

I would also really like a way to get right to the first "new to me" post in a thread.  There wasn't a way to do that in the old forums - is there one in the new forums?
    Todd McDermid's Blog
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 7:58 AM