none
Drop the 'social' from FQDN RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure the reasoning behind the new 'social.' prefix on the forum's FQDN, but that is causing it to get blocked by many web filters.  I routinely visit various client sites and the social portion of the URL seems to be the issue.  There was nothing wrong with 'technet.microsoft.com' as it was.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 2:37 PM

All replies

• Jeff:

I agree 1000%.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, September 22, 2008 1:40 AM
  • I've brought it up for discussion with the team...

Thanks
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Monday, September 22, 2008 5:38 AM
  • At how many client sites were you able to visit the forums before social was added to the URL? My understanding is that url filtering uses the domain (Microsoft.com), which is unchanged.
    Forums Product Planner, Andrew.Brenner at Microsoft.com
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 3:35 PM
  • >My understanding is that url filtering uses the domain (Microsoft.com), which is unchanged.

Andrew, the first message in this thread said that technet.microsoft.com had been OK.
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 4:01 PM
  • Jumping in here so we can start the process of nailing this down.

Jeff or Dave, do you have a # that you could place on how many times you've had the site be blocked by this?

-Jeremy
    Jeremy Kelley
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:49 PM
  • Jeremy:

I have not seen this blocking myself, but I only use the forums from my home office and from one client site. I have just heard reports of it, both here, and elsewhere from other MVP's.

But for me even one client site with this problem for any one person is too many.

I have to say that I also object to all this social business on philosophical grounds. For me, the NNTP newsgroups are serious business. If the forums are to be the successors to NNTP, then they must be serious business also, and anything that detracts from the core goal of being able to simply and efficiently ask and answer questions is a negative. Social networking may have its place, but it is not for me, and I do not think it should be any part of the forum experience.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 4:40 PM
  • I've been at only one client the past 2 weeks and it's working here.  It was only a couple places before I had problems, but it seemed to me the 'social' was a poor choice of a name.  So my post was more philosophical and technical; I agree 100% with David.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging
    Monday, October 6, 2008 10:58 PM