none
Invalid email address when doing a "Track in CRM"

Question

• When promoting an email in CRM 4.0's Outlook Client, one of my users cannot promote a specific email.  The error message is: Invalid e-mail address.  For more information, contact yourMicrosoft Dynamics CRM administrator."

The Event Log shows:

An error occurred while promoting a Microsoft CRM e-mail message. Restart Microsoft Outlook and try again. HR=0x80044192. Context=. Function=CMailItemHelper::HrPromoteMailItemInCrm. Line=1668.

We noticed that one of the email addresses in the CC field had a display name in the format of "Firstname Lastname (email@address.com)".  Also note that the email address is in the format of "email@address.com".  This looks valid to me.

We tried removing the "(email@address.com)" from the display name field he is now able to promote the email.

Why does CRM care about the email address being in the display name?
    Is this a known issue?
    Is there a workaround aside from having to manually edit the display names?

• Edited by ckumark Friday, June 26, 2009 7:10 PM Fixing thread title bug
    Friday, June 12, 2009 6:00 PM

Answers

• I have sent trace files for both client and server to MS where the bug was confirmed.

It is now a "known bug". Below are highlights from case

PROBLEM:
    When you try to track e-mail that is in format “Firstname lastname (email@ddress.com)” you got an error: Invalid e-mail address.
    The only workaround currently is to modify the friendly name in users contacts.

CAUSE:
    Bug

RESOLUTION:
    Will be fixed in future update rollup

The support engineer told me, that there will not be a dedicated hotfix released for this bug but hopefully it will make it into the next update rollup (the bug has high priority internally).

Well... we will just have to wait for the next update rollup... or the next...

/Anders
    Anders Heick | Software Architect | HandStep
    • Marked as answer by CorbettMerrill Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:33 PM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:24 PM
  • Hi,

please take a look at Rollup 6 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970148 which contains following fix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974037
    • Marked as answer by CorbettMerrill Thursday, September 03, 2009 2:34 PM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:02 PM

All replies

• Just wonderinf if you have a period (.) at the end of the email address. If so, remove the period and then try to promote again to see if it resolves the issue.

Darren Liu | 刘嘉鸿 | MS CRM MVP | English Blog: http://msdynamicscrm-e.blogspot.com | Chinese Blog: http://liudarren.spaces.live.com
    Friday, June 12, 2009 7:22 PM
  • Has any user been able to promote any email message where this contact is a recipient?

In the message form, if you right click on the contact's name and choose Outlook properties, is the email address shown in the email address box valid?
    Friday, June 12, 2009 7:38 PM
  • When promoting an email in CRM 4.0's Outlook Client, one of my users cannot promote a specific email.  The error message is: Invalid e-mail address.  For more information, contact yourMicrosoft Dynamics CRM administrator."

The Event Log shows:

An error occurred while promoting a Microsoft CRM e-mail message. Restart Microsoft Outlook and try again. HR=0x80044192. Context=. Function=CMailItemHelper::HrPromoteMailItemInCrm. Line=1668.

We noticed that one of the email addresses in the CC field had a display name in the format of "Firstname Lastname (email@address.com)".  Also note that the email address is in the format of "email@address.com".  This looks valid to me.

We tried removing the "(email@address.com)" from the display name field he is now able to promote the email.

Why does CRM care about the email address being in the display name?
    Is this a known issue?
    Is there a workaround aside from having to manually edit the display names?

I am facing the same problem on our system. The problem is only occuring if the To or CC has the Firstname Lastname (email@address.com) in it. And if the email after the name is removed it can be tracked.

So this should be a common problem as it shows to several users. So please, do anyone have and answer to this?
    Monday, June 22, 2009 7:56 AM
  • Yes, this is an issue that we have seen before.  What happens if when you create the e-mail, you select the address from the crm address book rather than from the Outlook address book?  It seems to have to do with if there are parentheses in the address.  Outlook, BTW, adds the parentheses whenever there are multiple addresses for the same person.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 10:19 AM
  • When selecting the same person from the CRM address book it does not take the email@address.com with so its only the "Firstname Lastname" part that is in the mail now. And it can be tracked. So it must be somewhere in the CRM <-> Outlook connection that is not as it should be.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 10:55 AM
  • I'm having the exact same problem where I have received an email and the address in the CC field is in the format "FirstName Last Name (email@address.com)".  When I try and "Track in CRM" I get the same error message.

Since this is an email I have received, how am I to prompt it to CRM?  I don't have the ability to edit this CC field?
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 4:08 AM
  • We are as you can see facing the same problem. But in order to make sure we track all emails we have been forced to forward the mail to our self. And then it can be tracked, but you will lose the ability to track to the person you received it from in the first place. Unless you Set Regarding.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 6:21 AM
  • I can confirm the exact same problem in our setup!

We haven't seen this problem until recently. I do not recall seing this problem before CU Rollup 4, but I can't confirm that. Anyone running CU Rollup 3 who can verify if the issue exists there?
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 8:00 AM
  • We altso saw this problem first after the Rollup 4. So i agree that this must be a problem related to this. We did the rollup about 2 weeks ago and before that we never saw this problem.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 8:20 AM
  • I have just initiated a support case with Microsoft. I will keep you updated.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 8:23 AM
  • I have sent trace files for both client and server to MS where the bug was confirmed.

It is now a "known bug". Below are highlights from case

PROBLEM:
    When you try to track e-mail that is in format “Firstname lastname (email@ddress.com)” you got an error: Invalid e-mail address.
    The only workaround currently is to modify the friendly name in users contacts.

CAUSE:
    Bug

RESOLUTION:
    Will be fixed in future update rollup

The support engineer told me, that there will not be a dedicated hotfix released for this bug but hopefully it will make it into the next update rollup (the bug has high priority internally).

Well... we will just have to wait for the next update rollup... or the next...

/Anders
    • Marked as answer by CorbettMerrill Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:33 PM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:24 PM
  • Thank you very much Anders!  Do you know if they have a KB number for the bug yet?

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:35 PM
  • There is no (public) KB article yet, but they did verify that this bug was identical to a bug they had already documented internally.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:37 PM
  • We have in with a customer on Rollup 3 as well...
    Ryan | Zero2Ten | http://www.zero2tencrm.com/
    Monday, June 29, 2009 3:04 AM
  • Does anyone know if there was a hotfix included in Roll-up 5 for this issue?  I recently had a client with the same issue. 

I read in another article located at:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.crm/browse_thread/thread/57bd01ca8f0e08d9/a5df6026711c2b0a?lnk=raot

This stated that the error may have been caused by rollup 4 and you can revert back to rollup 3.  Before attempting this step, I wanted to check to see if the error was fixed with the latest Rollup released this month.  Thanks!
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:36 PM
  • I was running Rollup 2 with no problem at all and tracking reliably. I recently applied CRM Rollup 5
    I also noticed a known web.config issue still in Rollup 5.0. Be nice if these got resolved quicker if they are known about. Looking forward to rollup 6...

Update - As we really need the ability to track e-mails in CRM as a core feature, I just unistalled Rollup 5 and reverted to Rollup 2 and all is working now. Rollup 2 seems to be the last stable patch that does not have 'known issues' (for us anyway).

Uninstalling Rollup 5 created a script error on closing any record with Currency Presison needed (account, contact, opp, lead etc). Latest is:
    - Installed Rollup 5 back on server and cleared the above script error.
    - Left Rollup 2 on laptop client and can still track e-mails against CRM.
    See how that goes...
    • Edited by IanCRM Wednesday, August 05, 2009 11:58 PM New information
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 5:10 AM
  • Hi,

please take a look at Rollup 6 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970148 which contains following fix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974037
    • Marked as answer by CorbettMerrill Thursday, September 03, 2009 2:34 PM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:02 PM
  • Just wanted to say I put UR6 on the Outlook client, and this still occurs.  Fun!
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 3:23 PM
  • Hi Greg,

you have to install it on the client and on the server.

Thursday, September 17, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Ah I see, will try to do in near future and post back if issue is resolved.  Thanks!
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 3:36 PM
  • To solve this you can write the e-mail address on a piece of paper and type it in the right place(to: whoever@whoever.com)
    Monday, April 19, 2010 6:59 AM