Is there an "Old Windows" file in Windows XP? RRS feed

• Question

• I am debating this issue with a friend.  Neither of us uses XP anymore. However, a mutual friend needs to reinstall XP on her system.  The question we have is related to retrieving old files on the computer.  If my friend does a clean install of XP, will she be able to access old files on her hard drive via the same kind or similar version of "Old Windows" that is avaiable on Windows 7?
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 8:21 PM

Answers

• "anita02110" wrote in message news:9641940b-5542-43ee-9762-e4bf5e789a1b...
    I am debating this issue with a friend.  Neither of us uses XP anymore. However, a mutual friend needs to reinstall XP on her system.  The question we have is related to retrieving old files on the computer.  If my friend does a clean install of XP, will she be able to access old files on her hard drive via the same kind or similar version of "Old Windows" that is avaiable on Windows 7?

No - the technology is new to Win7.
    I would never rely on it anyhow - ALWAYS make off-disk backups before either upgrading or reinstalling any operating system.  There are simply too many things that can go wrong.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 8:25 PM

All replies

• "anita02110" wrote in message news:9641940b-5542-43ee-9762-e4bf5e789a1b...
    I am debating this issue with a friend.  Neither of us uses XP anymore. However, a mutual friend needs to reinstall XP on her system.  The question we have is related to retrieving old files on the computer.  If my friend does a clean install of XP, will she be able to access old files on her hard drive via the same kind or similar version of "Old Windows" that is avaiable on Windows 7?

No - the technology is new to Win7.
    I would never rely on it anyhow - ALWAYS make off-disk backups before either upgrading or reinstalling any operating system.  There are simply too many things that can go wrong.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 8:25 PM
  • Thanks, Noel.  You confirmed my suspicions.
    Anita Tierney
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 8:27 PM