How to show spent time on case's form RRS feed

• Question

• Hi colleagues,

I need to show on a case form the time spent (doesn't matter if the case's state is processing or closed, need both) on CRM 2013 online. There are a field called 'BilledSerciceUnits', but it's always empty.

I understand the time spent is the sum of tasks associated with te case, but I don't know how I can configure the workflow to calculate the SUM. I can't make a workflow using the entity Resolved Case to copy the field with actual time to the case form.

Thanks so much,

Best Regards

Friday, February 7, 2014 4:12 PM

Answers

• You could use a solution such as AutoSummary from Gap Consulting. Not free but great value - about £100 (GBP) and then an annual maintenance fee.

This provides a framework for you to create whatever rules you need for summarising data from child records on a parent record.

You could do something very similar with North52's Formula Manager. This is free for up to ten 'formulas' (rules).

Probably similar effort for either solution.

Hope this helps.
    Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011
    Blog: Getting IT Right

Saturday, February 8, 2014 9:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Using the workflows could be difficult and even impossible in some conditions of your requirement. A workaround for similar (not yours) requirements is to trigger a workflow on the change or create of the child entity. Then run a workflow on the parent entity to distribute workflows on all of the child entities. Then, using a custom field named "Sum" on the parent entity you could add up all the times of the tasks. This scenario has some issues:

1- Sometimes, some of workflows did not trigger on time or correctly and cause a wrong sum.

2- If you want to sum up the times for a resolved case you should reopen it update the sum and then resolve it. This causes a garbage audit history.

Instead of workflow I suggest to use a plugin, which could be more easier. You could register a plugin on the create and update of the tasks to update the parent. Even you could use JavaScript on the save of the task. But, workflows! I do not recommend in this case! :)

Iranian Dynamics CRM Association | انجمن متخصصان ایرانی

Friday, February 7, 2014 4:33 PM
  • Thanks for the info Payman. Do you know if exists any plugin that I can download and adapt to my environment?

Thanks so much

Friday, February 7, 2014 4:57 PM
  • I dont know such ready to use plugin. But it is really an easy task for a .Net developer to write such a code. Have a look at the SDK for more info.

Iranian Dynamics CRM Association | انجمن متخصصان ایرانی

Friday, February 7, 2014 5:11 PM
  • You could use a solution such as AutoSummary from Gap Consulting. Not free but great value - about £100 (GBP) and then an annual maintenance fee.

This provides a framework for you to create whatever rules you need for summarising data from child records on a parent record.

You could do something very similar with North52's Formula Manager. This is free for up to ten 'formulas' (rules).

Probably similar effort for either solution.

Hope this helps.
    Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011
    Blog: Getting IT Right

Saturday, February 8, 2014 9:13 AM