none
Vista validation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I has to install a bios upgrade to fix on my laptop, which has wiped my SLIC table. I cant find the backup image of my bios the software made anywhere. Now windows is saying it is not genuine, and upon logging in it asks me to validate it. I can only enter in the Serial number that is on the COA label, and it says that it is invalid. It doesnt give me an option to call microsoft. Is there any way to get this fixed without having to re-format?

Thanks,
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 5:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Larrysanchez,

To fix the issue, you will need to change out the OEM SLP key with the COA SLP key (the key listed on the COA sticker).  The normal way to do this is to click the ‘Start’ button, right-click ‘Computer’, select ‘Properties’ and then click ‘Change Product Key’ (located in the lower right-hand side of the window). Enter the COA SLP key and follow the instructions of Change Product Key Wizard.

Alternate steps to change the product key

1)     Click the Start button

2)     Type: slui.exe 3 and hit the Enter key

3)     Type in the Product key from the sticker on your computer

4)     Click the Next button.

5)     You will be asked if want to Activate, click ok

6)     It will attempt to Activate by the internet and will return an Invalid Key error (this is ok, continue to step 7)

7)     Click the Start button

8)     Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key

9)     Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button

10) The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone

NOTE: when you call that number, you will first hear an Automated Voice. If the Automated Voice gives you an option to talk to a Live Activation Rep, select that option. If not, do not enter any numbers. This should force the Automated Voice to transfer you to a Live Activation Rep. Trying to Activate thru the Automated Voice will not work, in your case, only thru the Live Activation Rep will your Activation be successful.    

If that does not work, you can try calling your local Activation Call Center. They can troubleshoot the COA key for you.

Activation Centers Worldwide: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/numbers.mspx

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Attention Forum All Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own.
    Monday, February 9, 2009 7:33 PM