windows xp home - moving hard drive to another machine RRS feed

• Question

• a friend has a dell 2350 with XP home COA tag and XP home installed - but the key embedded in the installed XP home is NOT the one on the tag.  not sure why.

the 2350 is slow, and the CD/DVD drive is failing.  it's headed for the dumpster.  i have a spare dell gx280 with an XP pro COA tag that i want to give him as an xmas gift to replace the 2350.

goal: move hard drive from dell 2350 to dell gx280, then perform repair install of XP home to fix up the drivers & stuff and keep his existing apps, data, user info, etc.

i've done this kind of thing before - you move the drive, and usually it BSODs on boot on the new machine.  i then do a repair install using the proper XP CD and the key from the original machine or the new machine, whichever it accepts.

i have a microsoft retail XP home CD with SP2, and a dell oem XP home CD with SP1a from two other computer purchases.

doing a repair install using the microsoft retail CD, things proceed normally but it won't take the key from the original install or the key from the original machine's COA sticker.

doing a repair install using the dell OEM SP1a CD, the machine hangs (display correct but keyboard dead) after the "loading drivers/starting windows" early CD boot where it's asking if i want to install or press R for recovery console.  i suspect the new machine (which has a P4/HT processor) needs SP2 or later to run correctly.

do i have any recourse here besides finding an SP2 or later dell XP home cd?  i also have XP pro CDs (microsoft retail and dell oem) with SP2, if they could be of any use here.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 5:54 AM

Answers

• Hello rscottrysdale,

I can't remember for sure, but I don't think you can use a Dell OS Reinstallation disc for XP Pro to upgrade an existing XP Home installation.

Backup data to other storage and for best results IME it's best to cleanly install the applications software from installation disc or fresh download.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, December 1, 2010 10:04 PM
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:11 AM
  • "Dan at IT Associates" wrote in message news:8e6b742a-2bde-4940-8153-e5f78bdd40aa...

Hello rscottrysdale,

I can't remember for sure, but I don't think you can use a Dell OS Reinstallation disc for XP Pro to upgrade an existing XP Home installation.

Backup data to other storage and for best results IME it's best to cleanly install the applications software from installation disc or fresh download.

No XP OEM disk can be used for upgrading - they will all reformat the drive.
    You could use a Retail Pro disk to do the upgrade/reinstall, and after the install, change the product key using the Product Key Update Tool

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:25 AM

All replies

• Hello rscottrysdale,

You wrote, "....i have a spare dell gx280 with an XP pro COA tag...."

Forget XP Home, you will need a Dell XP Pro Operating System Reinstallation disc, because the GX280 is licensed for XP Pro, not XP Home, per the CoA.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 6:42 AM
  • i have a dell XP pro install disc, but the idea is to preserve the apps & data on the original drive containing XP home.  is there a way to convert the XP home install to XP pro as part of the transplant process?
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:04 AM
  • Hello rscottrysdale,

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:11 AM
  • "Dan at IT Associates" wrote in message news:8e6b742a-2bde-4940-8153-e5f78bdd40aa...

Hello rscottrysdale,

No XP OEM disk can be used for upgrading - they will all reformat the drive.
    You could use a Retail Pro disk to do the upgrade/reinstall, and after the install, change the product key using the Product Key Update Tool

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:25 AM