Microsoft Home and Student 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• How do I know how many times my product key has been used? How many installations do I have left with my product key?
    I was not able to keep track of it.

And also, How do I transfer my license from a laptop that was stolen to my new one?

Thanks!
    Saturday, June 7, 2008 8:53 AM

Answers

• Saturday, June 7, 2008 3:16 PM
  • pancreas,

Most licenses allow for software to be re-installed and activated on the same PC an unlimited number of times. To ensure that you are using your license properly, please see your End User License Agreement (EULA) or product use rights for details on a specific product.

An OEM license for XP comes with certain restrictions that make it less flexible, and therefore less expensive, than the retail license for XP.  The OEM license is "married" to the computer onto which it is first installed, and by the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) it is not permitted to be moved to any another computer.  In order to read your EULA, click Start>Run, type winver and click OK, then click on the link for the license terms or EULA.  Retail licenses may be moved from one computer to another, as long as the license is activated on one computer at a time and as long as the previous installation of the license is removed from the previously licensed computer.

-For Licensing questions : http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sam/what_basics_licensingWhat.mspx

I hope this has answered your question,

Lori MS
    Monday, June 9, 2008 4:21 PM

All replies

• Saturday, June 7, 2008 3:16 PM
  • pancreas,

Most licenses allow for software to be re-installed and activated on the same PC an unlimited number of times. To ensure that you are using your license properly, please see your End User License Agreement (EULA) or product use rights for details on a specific product.

An OEM license for XP comes with certain restrictions that make it less flexible, and therefore less expensive, than the retail license for XP.  The OEM license is "married" to the computer onto which it is first installed, and by the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) it is not permitted to be moved to any another computer.  In order to read your EULA, click Start>Run, type winver and click OK, then click on the link for the license terms or EULA.  Retail licenses may be moved from one computer to another, as long as the license is activated on one computer at a time and as long as the previous installation of the license is removed from the previously licensed computer.

-For Licensing questions : http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sam/what_basics_licensingWhat.mspx

I hope this has answered your question,

Lori MS
    Monday, June 9, 2008 4:21 PM