none
.docx extension compatible with WHS searching? RRS feed

• Question

• When I search contents of files, it does not appear that the .docx extension is being looking at by WHS.

I RDP'd into the server and checked the search options from the magnifying glass in the taskbar, I noticed that .docx was NOT listed as an extension under file types,  so I added it however, it still does not appear to be working when I attempt to search content in .docx files.

I notice that the .doc file type was listed, by default, and its "Filter Description" is "Microsoft Office Filter" where as the .docx extension I added is listed as a "Plain Text Filter".

Any ideas?
    Friday, March 12, 2010 3:28 AM

Answers

• You need additional filters which are not supplied with Windows Search to be able to search the contents of .docx files. Microsoft has those filters available as a download , but I can't guarantee that they will work properly on Windows Home Server, or that they will not cause problems on your server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Scormodo Saturday, March 13, 2010 3:13 AM
    Friday, March 12, 2010 3:55 AM

All replies

• You need additional filters which are not supplied with Windows Search to be able to search the contents of .docx files. Microsoft has those filters available as a download , but I can't guarantee that they will work properly on Windows Home Server, or that they will not cause problems on your server.
    • Marked as answer by Scormodo Saturday, March 13, 2010 3:13 AM
    Friday, March 12, 2010 3:55 AM
    Well that stinks.   Thanks for the response though.
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 3:13 AM
  • I didn't say it won't work. I said I don't know if it will, or if it will cause some sort of problem. I can't honestly think of a reason why it wouldn't, but you'll have to install the additional filters through remote desktop or by logging in to the server locally, and doing so is unsupported.
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 4:59 AM