none
Windows Home Server and File Name Restrictions RRS feed

• Question

• Does the WHS allow a file name to have a colon in it?(like   r1:testa )  I want this to work on an NFS shared file system also so is my assumption that the standard Microsoft NFS programs add-ons  work on the WHS system true?
    • Moved by Stephen BootsMVP Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:22 PM wrong forum, not MSE issue (From:Microsoft Security Essentials: Getting Started and Upgrading)
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:14 PM

Answers

• Use Windows Server 2008, rather than Windows Home Server (which, despite the wishes of many, is not Windows Server 2003 Lite)? :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by 2dBs Friday, January 15, 2010 2:40 PM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:34 PM

All replies

• I would advise against installing Unix extensions on your Windows Home Server computer; there are advanced NTFS constructs that aren't supported in the Windows Home Server managed shares.

That said, NTFS doesn't allow certain characters in a file name, even if you're using Server for NFS and those characters would be valid in Unix. The way Server for NFS deals with this is by mapping characters that are valid to the invalid characters. For more information about Server for NFS, see this Technet article.

Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:32 PM
  • Thanks.for the input. I am trying to replace my linux servers with MS Windows boxes. I have some old HP-UX UNIX based equipment that must see the file server systems. They can mount NFS file systems. They use colons for some file names. I cannot control that.  Got any ideas?
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:09 PM
  • Use Windows Server 2008, rather than Windows Home Server (which, despite the wishes of many, is not Windows Server 2003 Lite)? :)
    • Marked as answer by 2dBs Friday, January 15, 2010 2:40 PM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:34 PM