Which Version of Visual Stuiod Expres works with SDK? RRS feed

• Question

• I've downloaded versions of Visual Studio Express 2010 and 2012 neither one is working when I try to connect with the CRM 2011 SDK? When I attempt to run the toolkit install I get an error message that Visual Studio must be installed first. I downloaded the Visual Studio for desktop but doesn't seem to work.

There are several different versions, Windows 8, Desktop, C++, Web. Is there one in particular that only works with CRM SDK? Or am I doing something else wrong?

Thanks for any help.
    -Trevor

Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:43 PM

Answers

• I think we are talking about 2 different things.

Packaged with the SDK is the Developer Toolkit - a set of templates and tooling to help you create and manage plugins/  custom workflows and such... This as the post about indicated needs to be installed into a version of VS that is Professional or above.

That isn't saying you can't (I have never personally tried) create a plugin (which is just a .dll file) using the Express version - you just won't have the benefit of the Developer Toolkit functionality. 

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Thursday, August 29, 2013 7:13 PM

All replies

• From the SDK:

Prerequisites
    Before installing the Developer Toolkit you must have the following applications installed on your development computer:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional and later

Microsoft Silverlight 4

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1 includes the Silverlight 4 Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 in addition to additional updates to Visual Studio. 

If you already have Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 installed, you can install Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1. 

If for some reason you cannot install Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1, you can install the Silverlight 4 Tools for Visual Studio 2010 separately.

Windows Identity Foundation 

Windows Identity Foundation is required for working with Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online.

Download and install Windows Identity Foundation from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17331.

For more information, see Description of Windows Identity Foundation.

Jason Lattimer

Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:47 PM
  • Jason, thanks but I've read all that. That implies visual studio express isn't supported? But I've read other articles that say you can use express. I have all of those prerequisites unless express isn't supported.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0a8f5435-7ed3-4a7a-8c97-cb4a76925edc/what-version-of-visual-studio-2010-is-required-for-crm-2011

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh372957.aspx

Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:59 PM
  • I think we are talking about 2 different things.

Packaged with the SDK is the Developer Toolkit - a set of templates and tooling to help you create and manage plugins/  custom workflows and such... This as the post about indicated needs to be installed into a version of VS that is Professional or above.

That isn't saying you can't (I have never personally tried) create a plugin (which is just a .dll file) using the Express version - you just won't have the benefit of the Developer Toolkit functionality. 

Jason Lattimer

Thursday, August 29, 2013 7:13 PM
  • Alright, thanks. I was probably confused and mistook what the other post saying assuming he was referring to the SDK working with an express version. I see what you are saying now though. Guess I get to try and request a license to Visual Studio Professional.

Thanks again,

Thursday, August 29, 2013 7:20 PM