none
Certification Path Confusion RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for some help on clarifying the Microsoft Certification Paths. I am planning out the path I want to take and am trying to get some courses that over lap so they count towards other certifications but I am having trouble finding the prerequisites for each certification. This is what I have so far. Do you have to have a MCTS before starting any certification paths?

I am going to start by going for my MCSA. Not sure if you need a MCP before getting it and there really is no place I could find that shows how to get a MCP, so if anyone has a link to the courses available to choose from for the MCP I'd appreciate it. Or am I wasting my time getting an MCP? But for my MCSA I am going for classes 70-290, 70-291, 70-680, Net+. I already have the Net+.

Next I'd like to work on my MCSE. The Net+, 70-290, and 70-291 overlap from the MCSA so I'd only have to take: 70-293, 70-294, 70-297, 70-298. Am I right so far?

After that I'd like to go for my MCITP EnterPrise Admin. The 70-680 from the MCSA would carry over. So all I would have to take would be the 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, and 70-647.

Now If I did all that correct, those tests should give me my MCSA, MCSE, and MCITP. I am just confused if I need to have a MCTS, MCP, or (Computer Desktop Fundamentals) on the ICT Curriculum Roadmap.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 3:58 PM

Answers

• You earn the MCTS when you pass one of the latest MS certifications - i.e. 70-680, 70-640, etc.  Also, you effectively earn the MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) moniker when you pass your first exam.

Keep in mind that the MCSA and MCSE are on 7+ year old technology.  Yes, the MCSA and MCSE courses do overlap, which means you don't have to repeat them.  But...many companies are now moving to Win7 and Server 2008.  Earning the MCITP Server 2008 Enterprise Administrator will give you an excellent base of knowledge.  And...much of what you learn about Server 2008 is backwards compatible to Server 2003.

IMHO, concentrating on passing the courses for the MCITP Server 2008 EA would be a better choice than first earning the MCSA/MCSE.

Also, note that Microsoft updated the Server 2008 exams to include R2 questions.  However, the study guide hasn't been updated yet.  There's a separate thread on this as to alternate study materials until the MS Press books get updated.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:02 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• You earn the MCTS when you pass one of the latest MS certifications - i.e. 70-680, 70-640, etc.  Also, you effectively earn the MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) moniker when you pass your first exam.

Keep in mind that the MCSA and MCSE are on 7+ year old technology.  Yes, the MCSA and MCSE courses do overlap, which means you don't have to repeat them.  But...many companies are now moving to Win7 and Server 2008.  Earning the MCITP Server 2008 Enterprise Administrator will give you an excellent base of knowledge.  And...much of what you learn about Server 2008 is backwards compatible to Server 2003.

IMHO, concentrating on passing the courses for the MCITP Server 2008 EA would be a better choice than first earning the MCSA/MCSE.

Also, note that Microsoft updated the Server 2008 exams to include R2 questions.  However, the study guide hasn't been updated yet.  There's a separate thread on this as to alternate study materials until the MS Press books get updated.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:02 PM
    Answerer
  • Well my thoughts behind going for my MCSA and MCSE are that 2003 Server is readily alive and kicking in many organizations. I am familiar with the operating system and it will give me a solid foundation to build off of. I would be able to relate more from my 2003 Server experience to the 2008 Server tests.

And considering Ill automatically get my MCTS while going for my MSCA, it seems like a good option. And once I get the MCSA I take the upgrade path to my MCSE and then the upgrade path to MCITP. Plus it will put just enough of a delay between getting my 2008 Enterprise Admin so I can use the updated study material.

I'm just thinking starting small then building off each tier would be easier than going straight to the top. A little longer to get the certifications. But the compounding theories building off one another would make the transition to the newer technology easier.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 6:49 PM