replaced my router, now some local machines cant connect to server RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded from an aging Dlink di-524 to a Linksys wrt54gl with dd-wrt basic firmware. The server was able to re-establish remote access via Upnp no problem. one of my 6 xp machines couldnt get internet access so I switched over to the other onboard lan, connected, ok i can live with that. my main machine is dual boot xp pro and win7 Rc. the win7 install connects to server console just fine, no issues. the xp machine can access shares but cant connect during connector reinstall. Same with the machine that I switched lanports on ( it has dual lan on mobo). neither one can connect to the server via console but can access shares. i havent tried but it likely wouldnt be able to run a restore either. Long intro, heres the question: how can installing a new router cause 2 machines to faail to connect?  I allreay tried lowering the server firewall security to allow all subnets, no help there. Im tempted to go back to my old router even though it fails to keep the internet remote access going for more than a month.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 2:16 PM

Answers

• On your router check to make sure that all your computers (Windows Home Server and all clients) are part of the same subnet and VLAN. If they aren't, you may see issues such as you describe. For specific assistance with configuring a dd-wrt flashed router, please consult the dd-wrt forums .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Hi Craig,
    I assume, it has something to do with your router - it may deliver false settings via DHCP for DNS name resolution.
    Either the IP address of the ISPs DNS server instead of its own internal address, or it adds a DNS Suffix/Search Suffix. Both may cause name resolution to try finding your home server on the Internet instead in the LAN, which of course fails.
    To validate this, please open a command prompt on both the server and the client, type
    ipconfig /all
    and post the output here.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 6:56 PM

All replies

• On your router check to make sure that all your computers (Windows Home Server and all clients) are part of the same subnet and VLAN. If they aren't, you may see issues such as you describe. For specific assistance with configuring a dd-wrt flashed router, please consult the dd-wrt forums .
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 2:24 PM
  • I guess its possible that upgrading to IE8 had something to do with this too. The IE8 upgrade is the only other variable in the mix in the last couple of weeks.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 2:53 PM
  • I think IE8 is unlikely to be the culprit, as I have IE8 on all computers and am able to join a computer to a server with no problems, back up, restore, etc.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:20 PM
  • I have successfully installed the connector software and receive alerts, that nagging alert about win7 not having malware protection - defender installed, but still cannot access the console. I can reboot into win7 and enter console but would like to get it working on all machines.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 5:25 PM
  • Hi Craig,
    I assume, it has something to do with your router - it may deliver false settings via DHCP for DNS name resolution.
    Either the IP address of the ISPs DNS server instead of its own internal address, or it adds a DNS Suffix/Search Suffix. Both may cause name resolution to try finding your home server on the Internet instead in the LAN, which of course fails.
    To validate this, please open a command prompt on both the server and the client, type
    ipconfig /all
    and post the output here.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 6:56 PM