Upgrade WHS trial edition to Windows Server 2008 Standard trial edition? RRS feed

• Question

• My experience with WHS has whetted my appetite for something a little more sophisticated.  I've looked under the documentation for the Windows Server 2008 Standard and an upgrade from WHS is not listed as supported.  Has anyone ever tried this? 

Any comments on this at all? 
    Monday, February 2, 2009 7:38 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server is built on the Windows server 2003 platform. It extends that platform in a number of ways, and it's my understanding that those extensions are specific to the platform they were developed for, i.e. there are changes to some of the required core functionality in the platform in Windows Server 2008 that break WHS.

In addition, WHS is designed as a simple platform to provide certain services in the home; it's got the whole feature set of Windwos Server 2003 available, but most of that is hidden away behind the scenes and use of any of it is supported. So no upgrade to the operating system that can't be deployed automatically through Windows Update is going to be supported.

Ergo: No, it's not supported, and no, it probably won't work.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 2, 2009 7:46 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server is built on the Windows server 2003 platform. It extends that platform in a number of ways, and it's my understanding that those extensions are specific to the platform they were developed for, i.e. there are changes to some of the required core functionality in the platform in Windows Server 2008 that break WHS.

In addition, WHS is designed as a simple platform to provide certain services in the home; it's got the whole feature set of Windwos Server 2003 available, but most of that is hidden away behind the scenes and use of any of it is supported. So no upgrade to the operating system that can't be deployed automatically through Windows Update is going to be supported.

Ergo: No, it's not supported, and no, it probably won't work.

Monday, February 2, 2009 7:46 PM
  • "So no upgrade to the operating system that can't be deployed automatically through Windows Update is going to be supported."

I think I understand that an "upgrade" to Windows Server 2008 Standard would not be an update and that the functionality of WHS would not be preserved in the process.  I'm more concerned that my data in WHS, the shares especially, would be protected in the same sense that they are protected when I "upgrade" from my trial edition WHS to the OEM edition.

Experience speaks best to theory, anyone ever try this?
    Monday, February 2, 2009 7:59 PM
  • The data in your shares will not be preserved in an immediately useful way if you make the attempt to "upgrade" to Windows Server 2008. You will need to use standard Windows Home Server data recovery techniques to get your files/shares back, and I make no promises that you will get them back at all, because Windows Server 2008 doesn't understand the additions to the file system that are part of Windows Home Server.

In other words, don't do this if you don't want to go through all of your drives and find your files by hand, because that's the best outcome you can hope for.

It's also possible that Windows Server 2008 would refuse to install as an upgrade (I think the installation media has an upgrade mode, but honestly don't recall) on Windows Home Server, in which case it would not be possible to upgrade at all.

Monday, February 2, 2009 8:39 PM
  • Thank you, that answers my question and explains a lot too.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 10:29 PM