Updating Existing Records RRS feed

• Question

• Thanks for any thoughts on this. 

I am in a company that gathers information in Mobile devices throughout the country. I then use a CSV file from an application from the Mobile Devices to create Contacts in Microsoft CRM 2011 online. So I put together a Map, and this works unbelievably well. 

The next day, my Mobile Workers are back in the field and gather more data. I then would like to update these same records I imported prior with new information. We are dealing with thousands of records per day. So exporting it to an Excel Sheet to manually manipulate or even pull of a manual VLookup is not the way I would like to go. 

I worked with Netsuite before, and they allowed you to update a record, as long as you had the Primary Key ID (Internal ID) and identified you were updating the record. You could update any field to your hearts desire. 

I am finding that with Microsoft CRM 2011, that this may not be possible. I can get the records created...but to update them with another CSV the next day... is not possible. 

Any thoughts or ideas? I am baffled by this. And when I read other Forum's, they do not exactly speak to what I am trying to do. 

Thanks to any CRM Veterans that can help me out here. 

EStoddard...

Earl Stoddard
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 4:21 AM

Answers

• It can be done by following steps:
    1. Export the data that you want to update (you must include the columns that you want to be updated)
    2. You must export with Dynamic Worksheet option
    3. When you open the excel file, you will notice there is a hidden cloumn at the end of columns, make sure unhide it
    4. Save the Excel file as CSV (comma delimited) file
    5. Now you can edit the data (Don't edit the Header)
    6. When you import it back, you will see at the top of the screen the possibility to ‘Enrich data by updating records rather than creating new records.’ is given
    Please check for more options:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/crm/thread/c8819e57-ccfc-4167-ad62-947d6d15651c

Mohit Agrawal
    • Proposed as answer by Agrawal Mohit Saturday, July 23, 2011 8:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by EStoddard Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:09 PM
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 5:23 PM
  • Thank you... I will test this out.
    EStoddard
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 12:38 AM

All replies

• It can be done by following steps:
    1. Export the data that you want to update (you must include the columns that you want to be updated)
    2. You must export with Dynamic Worksheet option
    3. When you open the excel file, you will notice there is a hidden cloumn at the end of columns, make sure unhide it
    4. Save the Excel file as CSV (comma delimited) file
    5. Now you can edit the data (Don't edit the Header)
    6. When you import it back, you will see at the top of the screen the possibility to ‘Enrich data by updating records rather than creating new records.’ is given
    Please check for more options:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/crm/thread/c8819e57-ccfc-4167-ad62-947d6d15651c

Mohit Agrawal
    • Proposed as answer by Agrawal Mohit Saturday, July 23, 2011 8:28 AM
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 5:23 PM
  • Thank you... I will test this out.
    EStoddard
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 12:38 AM