Vail public preview to expire on 1-10-11

General discussion

• Thanks for taking the time to test Windows Home Server “Vail” with us.  As is the case with most betas, the trial period for “Vail” is limited in nature.  The public preview for “Vail” will expire on January 10<sup>th</sup>, 2011.

On this date, public preview versions of “Vail” will no longer be functional and we will not release a patch to extend the preview period.  If you have important data on your “Vail” server it is recommended that you migrate the data to another location.

It is our plan to offer a new beta version in about 4 to 6 weeks.  Once the new beta is available we will announce it here and on our team blog.

Thanks again for all your help testing “Vail”!

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Jonas Svensson [MSFT] Windows Home Server Community Program Manager
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, January 05, 2011 8:58 PM
    Owner

All replies

• I guess that gives us all time to reconfigure our test servers to function effectively without DE. Any hint as to new/improved features, beyond stripping out DE?
    Wednesday, January 05, 2011 9:20 PM
  • I guess its about time to quit testing this OLD BUILD & filing bugs, until the next one is released.

Note: I read there is a Private build out called:

Windows Home Server code name Vail NDA Preview Dec build 7827.

Any truth to that?

Thursday, January 06, 2011 3:15 AM
  • On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 03:15:10 +0000, haole wrote:

Note: I read there is a Private build out called:

Windows Home Server code name Vail NDA Preview Dec build 7827.

Any truth to that?

You're not going to get any comments from Microsoft folks on leaked builds.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Want custom ringtones on your Windows Phone 7 device?
    Debug:  The act of placing shoe leather against a small creeping creature.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 6:28 AM
  • Gee - thanks for telling me this FOUR DAYS before it expires.  Now I get to spend the bulk of my spare time after work migrating my files off of my Vail box, reconfiguring two laptops and three desktops to NOT back up to the Vail box that I built when my WHS V1 box went into a cycle of endless repeating reboots - AND I get to completely rebuild a WHS V1 box.  Oh - and just in case you hadn't forgotten, I'm *so* pleased (NOT) that whenever WHS V2 *does* come out, it'll have less functionality than V1.  I used to be an apostle for WHS.  You can see my comments all over technicals websites pushing WHS as an excellent solution to so many challenges.

No longer.

Is there any reason that the expiration date on Vail could NOT have been given form the get-go?  ...or at least with more than FOUR DAYS warning?

Thursday, January 06, 2011 11:36 AM
  • Thanks for taking the time to test Windows Home Server “Vail” with us.  As is the case with most betas, the trial period for “Vail” is limited in nature.  The public preview for “Vail” will expire on January 10<sup>th</sup>, 2011.

On this date, public preview versions of “Vail” will no longer be functional and we will not release a patch to extend the preview period.  If you have important data on your “Vail” server it is recommended that you migrate the data to another location.

It is our plan to offer a new beta version in about 4 to 6 weeks.  Once the new beta is available we will announce it here and on our team blog.

Thanks again for all your help testing “Vail”!

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Jonas Svensson [MSFT] Windows Home Server Community Program Manager
    Windows Home Server

So after 10 day's we get an offical statment that-

-It's no-longer funtional in 4 day's time (yes i have been getting the warnings within Vail, and have no valuable data on there)

-There will be no patch to extend it. 

-We will have to wait 4 - 6 weeks, before they will kindly allow us to spend our non-vaulable time and resourses to carry on the beta testing.

A lot of people that loved WHS have given up valuable time and resouses to be able to Beta Vail, i along with other's spent a lot of money on parts, to use the beta and get ready for the final product. Is it wrong then to show a bit more respect to these people. There are at least 3 threads based around the upcoming vail shutdown, and the lack of information being recieved unless you are an MVP.

Let's have an update on the Windows home server team blog and on the connect,
    How about some definitive information of what to expect in what looks will be the final Beta of Vail

Nigel

Show the community as a whole that they are appreciated

Thursday, January 06, 2011 1:04 PM
  • "Jonas Svensson -HSBS- [MSFT]" wrote in message news:9671b736-317d-45c1-a335-2ba3a44926e7@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

[Thanks for taking the time to test Windows Home Server �??Vail�?� with us.  As is the case with most betas, the trial period for �??Vail�?� is limited in nature.  The public preview for �??Vail�?� will expire on January 10<sup>th</sup>, 2011.]

I can't find an issue with this, as we were told at the get-go about the expiration date. However, I didn't consider this a "trial" period, but a Beta to be tested.

[On this date, public preview versions of �??Vail�?� will no longer be functional and we will not release a patch to extend the preview period.  If you have important data on your �??Vail�?� server it is recommended that you migrate the data to another location.]

Nor can I take issue with this, since we should all be aware that we really shouldn�??t use WHS Vail with data we don�??t want to lose.

[It is our plan to offer a new beta version in about 4 to 6 weeks.  Once the new beta is available we will announce it here and on our team blog.]

This is a very big issue! We were told in the blog that there would be a new version to test �??early in the new year�?�. Looks like �??early�?� doesn�??t mean what we all took it to mean! I don�??t believe I�??ve ever participated in a beta where the current bits expired before we were given new bits to work with. This really sucks!

[Thanks again for all your help testing �??Vail�?�!]

Quite frankly, I�??m not too sure that I�??ve been any help.

Windows Home Server

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 3:15 PM
  • This isn't IE, Live Essentials, or Office, where the beta gets installed/uninstalled at will. This is a server OS, the testing of which requires dedicated hardware and fairly deep integration. I'm trying to develop a new IT products segment for my business w/ limited resources, and I'm not planning on letting my server testing hardware sit idle for 4-6 weeks while I wait on Microsoft to release a beta version of a product that looks increasingly less likely to actually come to market in a form that will be useful to anyone.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 3:55 PM

• Is there any reason that the expiration date on Vail could NOT have been given form the get-go?  ...or at least with more than FOUR DAYS warning?

It is. Read the EULA; it's right there at the top. If you didn't read the EULA, well, that's your bad, not Microsoft's, I'm afraid.

As for the rest, it sounds like you deployed Vail in production, even though:

• The EULA prohibits use in production.
    • There's a warning at the top of the forum that Vail isn't supported in production.
    I have some sympathy for your situation, but at the end of the day, whether you realize it or not you signed up for the possibility that you would find yourself in exactly the position you're actually in.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:47 PM
  • Nigel, two things:

There are at least half a dozen threads about the imminent Vail expiration, and

MVPs don't get a lot of information you don't also get. We get earlier exposure to certain information than the general public, at the price of not being able to mention it even once some idiot newsman/blogger leaks it a week early, and we get to see intermediate builds on occasion. These are most definitely not for public consumption; they're usually intended for testing a single feature, and it's entirely possible that they will contain horrible bugs in other areas.

As for more information, I'm pretty sure that Microsoft will be talking about Vail futures at CES. So expect to see press releases, etc. over the next few days.

I agree that it's unfortunate that there will be a gap between the expiration of the current version of Vail and the release of a new beta, but unfortunately that's the way betas sometimes go. Removing DE is a fair amount of work, after all; a whole new storage management interface has to be designed and constructed.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Nancy, 6-8 weeks into the year seems like "early in the new year" to me. With luck, it will be toward the shorter end of the time frame Jonas laid out.
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:56 PM
  • [Nancy, 6-8 weeks into the year seems like "early in the new year" to me.
    With luck, it will be toward the shorter end of the time frame Jonas laid
    out.]

I could agree, Ken, if the bits we have were not set to expire on January 10
    and if Jonas's post on the 5th, didn't mean most likely the earliest we'll
    get new bits will be on February 2 and the latest would be February 19. As I
    said, I've never been involved in a beta with this kind of time frame.
    Besides, Microsoft is notoriously late with new beta bits . . . So, who
    knows when we'll see the beta proceed . . .

WHS Vail will be flattened and I'll just return WHS v1 for the time being.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 10:32 PM
  • Nigel, two things:

There are at least half a dozen threads about the imminent Vail expiration, and

MVPs don't get a lot of information you don't also get. We get earlier exposure to certain information than the general public, at the price of not being able to mention it even once some idiot newsman/blogger leaks it a week early, and we get to see intermediate builds on occasion. These are most definitely not for public consumption; they're usually intended for testing a single feature, and it's entirely possible that they will contain horrible bugs in other areas.

As for more information, I'm pretty sure that Microsoft will be talking about Vail futures at CES. So expect to see press releases, etc. over the next few days.

I agree that it's unfortunate that there will be a gap between the expiration of the current version of Vail and the release of a new beta, but unfortunately that's the way betas sometimes go. Removing DE is a fair amount of work, after all; a whole new storage management interface has to be designed and constructed.

Thank you Ken for your two points,

yes there are half a dozen threads about the imminent Vail expiration, nice of you to correct my initial count of three. So in the vain of being picky three of those where from earlier in 2010, and with respect not related to the current Vail beta due to expire.

I can appreciate that MVP's get earlier exposure to certain information than the rest of us, along with intermediate builds which are not for public consumption, which are best kept to a minimal group, rather than the few thousand taking part in the larger beta. But in my post i wasn't refering to that, it's more information i would like to see, i don't have to test a single feature to find it does not work, to appreciate being told about it.

Microsoft has decided to scrap DE which has meant a new storage managment system, which may, may not have caused the delay of the next beta. But no one is saying so. The community as a whole is very frustrated, the removal of DE not knowing anything about what's going to replace it, along with other parts that don't match up to the very very good product microsoft gave us with the original WHS. Along with the fact the blog team ceased it's promotion of Vail at the end of November, with the grim new's of HP's decision to retire from the home server market. The community was looking for information that Vail would continue and still is.

We may indeed get that as you say over the next few day's at CES, but again wouldn't it have been nice if Microsoft had sent a message out to the community, to tease us about up coming news last week, or the week before.

Nigel  

Friday, January 07, 2011 12:57 AM
  • I cannot believe Microsoft would simply let a beta test version expire without a patch to tide it over to the next release. Auto update makes the exercise trivial.

Reality is that real testing requires real data. And if you are testing a operating system with multiple functionality - such as media streaming, and backups - you need to test it in the real world with real workloads. Otherwise you end up with undetected problems such as the drive extender corruption bug. And I'm one of the people that is really angry at having to waste my time of having to reconfigure a server and desktop just because Microsoft couldn't be bothered extending an arbitrary beta cut-off /use by date.

And no, it's not a production server. I was silly enough to go out and buy additional hardware specifically just to test Vail. (And hands up those that think installing Vail as a VM will detect a problem such as the drive extender corruption bug?)

Why would I bother volunteering my time in another 4 weeks to install another version?

Cheers,

ErrorCode62

• Edited by ErrorCode62 Saturday, January 08, 2011 1:26 AM still angry
    Saturday, January 08, 2011 12:57 AM
  • You guys understand that with the removal of drive extender from VAIL, that there is no more reason to test it?  So I completely understand why they want this build to die..  Thanks for letting us know and I look forward to the next release.

athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 7 drives totaling about 6.5 tbs.
    Saturday, January 08, 2011 4:21 AM
  • [Reality is that real testing requires real data.

And no, it's not a production server. I was silly enough to go out and buy
    additional hardware specifically just to test Vail. (And hands up those that
    think installing Vail as a VM will detect a problem such as the drive
    extender corruption bug?)

Why would I bother volunteering my time in another 4 weeks to install
    another version?]

I've been testing Vail with real data all the while; however, I have a WD
    MyBook that holds all my data. I wouldn't test otherwise.

That said, this everyday use machine is a beta machine . . . I also use it
    for my everyday work because everything I do is saved onto the WD MyBook as
    well as backed up onto WHS Vail.

I also built a new machine in order to test WHS Vail (the WHS v1 machine is
    being used for testing too). And, although I'm not happy with the way things
    are going with WHS Vail, I will test when a new beta is released. I agreed
    to test WHS Vail and that's what I'm agonna do! I won't be testing it as a
    VM, though.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, January 08, 2011 5:42 AM
  • I think it,s strange that MS lets us beta testers down in this way. I installed SBS 2011 and it look and feels like VAIL, offcourse with much more in it.

What i espect is that VAIL will be released soon as a Windows 7 home server, stripped SBS2011!!!

Saturday, January 08, 2011 8:00 AM
  • [I think it,s strange that MS lets us beta testers down in this way. I
    installed SBS 2011 and it look and feels like VAIL, offcourse with much more
    in it.

What i espect is that VAIL will be released soon as a Windows 7 home server,
    stripped SBS2011!!!]

According to what I've been reading, WHS Vail should be released in the
    first half of 2011, with the next beta coming sometime between now and
    mid-February. So, we'll prolly get to test for awhile.

I can agree that the RTM of WHS Vail will be some sort of stripped down
    server, since WHS v1 is a stripped down version of Server 2003. And, if you
    know what you're about (I don't), you can get WHS v1 to do a lot more than
    the basic services it's meant to provide.

So, as I said, even if I don't like what's happening at the moment, I'll
    reserve judgment for now. And I'm not so sure Microsoft has 'let us down' so
    much; it's that we're just not getting our way. :)

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, January 08, 2011 12:56 PM
  • Hi Nancy,

I agree....... but still we are waiting for a long time and i expected  more from CES...

WHS v1 for me is great but Vail 64bit with 8gb memory is very fast...

Greetz, Jef.....

Saturday, January 08, 2011 1:08 PM
  • I think it,s strange that MS lets us beta testers down in this way. I installed SBS 2011 and it look and feels like VAIL, offcourse with much more in it.

What i espect is that VAIL will be released soon as a Windows 7 home server, stripped SBS2011!!!

I've been testing WHS with real data this entire time (Flattened my WHS V1 and built a faster machine instead) to ensure I was testing WHS in a real environment.   Since the removal of DE, I've switched to SBS 2011+RAID coupled with media-streaming software since that is what WHS V2 will end up being anyway.  To continue testing the OS I will just run it in Hyper-V with virtual disks when the beta is out but ultimately will stick with SBS 2011 at the end of the day since WHS V2 does nothing 'special' anymore.

*correction* I am running SBS 2011 Essentials(beta) now, since it includes client PC backup.  For some god awful reason SBS 2011 Standard, which is a much higher priced sku does not include client pc backup.

Saturday, January 08, 2011 1:43 PM
  • hi,

What specs do you use for sbs2011?

I run it on a Dell box T3400 4gb memory and its very slow!!!

But how about the domain in SBS, i mean like WHS v1?

Saturday, January 08, 2011 2:29 PM
  • I run SBS on a Pentium Dual Core rig with 6GB of ram, its more then enough for what i use it for.  I ran SBS 2011 standard on the same rig with exchange but went down to SBS Essentials for now.  I might rebuild one of my rigs and run SBS 2011 Standard on a Core2 Quad with 8GB and just use Symantec's BESR for client PC backups as I love running exchange server.
    Saturday, January 08, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Just looking at it as another step, been off of Vail and doing what I used to do. I don't want to go back to V1 so I will do what I used to do which backs up the computers to a NAS, images, and I will wait for something in the future.

--
    Don
    Saturday, January 08, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Hi Don,

With respect but i do think that WHS v1 is a much better choice than a NAS. I have 8TB data and i stream movies en music thrue MC with a win7 box.

Saturday, January 08, 2011 5:41 PM
  • Jonas, it's rather shortsighted of you to have done this, and it will not serve either the people who are testing your software, or Microsoft.

If you force people to step back from Vail right now you'll do two things.

1)  Inconvenience them. My backups are not organised in the manner to which I would like them organised. I don't have a data loss problem, but I do have lots of hassle to do. WHS is up my loft on a spare PC up there. It's a pain in the backside to make changes to it. So while I'm well aware this is a test build and it's reasonable to do extra work.... I did not think at any point there would be neither a beta nor a retail product.

2) You're losing sales. You're forced people to install a new product. When you do come out with the next Vail beta or retail version then less people are going to want to have to do the whole process again. So I personally am going to be looking for an alternative to WHS because I'm not one for being mucked about. What you should

This situation was entirely avoidable by you. You must know people are using this beta as an end product (with due care to data safety) and you must see that as a benefit for your testing. It makes no sense for you to force everybody to pick a new product, and have none of your own available.

Saturday, January 08, 2011 7:37 PM
  • It's just that I prefer to stay on the x64 side, will wait for the next step.

--
    Don
    Sunday, January 09, 2011 5:09 AM
  • [It's just that I prefer to stay on the x64 side, will wait for the next
    step.]

Same here, Don. I still haven't made up my mind whether to drag out my OEM
    copy of WHS v1 or not. Seems kind of like a waste of time to me.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, January 09, 2011 8:01 PM
  • It's just that I prefer to stay on the x64 side, will wait for the next step.

--
    Don
    One of my main reasons as well for not going back to WHS V1.
    Sunday, January 09, 2011 9:56 PM
  • I'm going to give Amahi a shot, and see how it turns out. It's something similar to Windows Home Server, but it's built on top of Fedora 12. It does have disk pooling software, however it doesn't have any data integrity protection build in, in the way that drive extender does - or in 23 hours had.

I'd much rather have bought the retail version of Vail, but since it's not around and I need some kind of server then I don't see me buying it. I can only see that happening if I don't take to Amahi.

Monday, January 10, 2011 12:23 AM
  • Once upon a time there was a SBS 2003 beta.  During the beta Microsoft said "amen to security" and had a two month standdown for security where no coding was done.

As I recall that SBS 2003 beta got a download to extend the beta.

Then, when we got the next beta, it was a 365 day beta to ensure that they didn't run out of time.

If you want people to participate in betas, having them time bomb out and tell them "sorry, we won't extend it", and then expected them to want to participate in future betas is asking a lot.

Okay, yeah yeah, don't use beta in production.  But it still gets back to the fact that you want us to use/sell/install these operating systems as soon as they come out.  Meanwhile one really can't truly run betas in near production these days because of the constraints put on. 

May I say that you are really not treating people that volunteer to test things too well.
    Monday, January 10, 2011 4:37 AM
  • The god awful reason is that running client backup -and- Exchange and all the other stuff that Standard does is running too much the same box.

SBS 2011 essentials will time bomb out Monday as well :-(

Monday, January 10, 2011 4:46 AM
  • Can someone tell what the point is in testing this new beta release of VAIL this time round?

No DE ==> No Point, I would rather just install Windows 2008 R2 and use that over FAIL woops sorry I mean VAIL ;) 

Monday, January 10, 2011 10:53 AM
  • Darn it Microsoft! Why do you get us all hooked on Vail, only to turn around and bite us so hard. After touching Vail I can't go back to V1, it is so much beter. Vail is DE, DE is Vail, you can't force us home users to miss DE because some SBS Customers can't run SQL Server/Sharepoint on Vail successfully.

I don't run Server applications, I know a lot the users don't run server apps, why can't you just allow us home users to continue using DE at our own risk. I'll rather run DE with its shortcomings than live without it. I have running the beta since day one, I don't have issues with it! This is a very bad decision to screw home users because you can't afford to fork out SBS 2011 without DE from Vail. At least make the DE downloadable as a patch at user's discretion.

Does anyone know much about DE? Can we steal the component from Vail beta and add it to the Shipping version of Vail later in the year? All hackers of the world please help us here! Darn it, I can't de-compile in C++

Monday, January 10, 2011 11:43 AM
  •    After reading this, as well as other numerous others, and comparing VAIL discussions with WHS V1 [ during beta test] discussions; I cannot help but notice that WHS V1 beta was deemed “better than sliced bread' and that VAIL beta “inhales vigorously'. And the not just a little obvious "Microsoft does not care" attidude, felt by so many, shall surely, affect many customers.....

My initial interest in VAIL was to overcome the short comings of a bare metal restore of Vista x64 and Win7 x64 clients.

I am most aware that beta is what is is. However, losing all stored data and the time required to re-transfer multiple terra-bytes of data into a new build of a beta box stimulates ZERO intrest in persuing another test pjase.

Since there are so many negative 'vibes' about VAIL and the Microsoft powers that be seem less than interested in the 'people's voice' , I also am finding alternate solutions to the VAIL v.s. Alternate  Solution dilemma.

Regards;

Peter

Monday, January 10, 2011 12:40 PM
  • Well here's a good post to extend the VAIL preview for a bit more time

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsvailbeta/thread/9d459f48-2e9e-4279-ade1-6d4d5e907e4c

Anything that doesnt have a self limiting factor is of the devil.
    Monday, January 10, 2011 10:23 PM
  • The god awful reason is that running client backup -and- Exchange and all the other stuff that Standard does is running too much the same box.

SBS 2011 essentials will time bomb out Monday as well :-(

I build servers with at least 2x dual core processors, use Symantec's BESR with a dedicated storage pool for backups.  It works flawlessly as I just stagger the backups so they are not done concurrently.  The same box can easily manage backups in addition to exchange.
    Monday, January 10, 2011 10:25 PM
  • You may, but the vast majority of the world doesn't.  Add to that, when SBS 2011 standard was first designed and spec'd, DE was in Aurora.  DE with SQL and Exchange would be one very messy box to deal with.  There's no way you'd want a box with DE running the Exchange database on it at the same time.

Note that DE has now been removed from Aurora... so that messiness is now gone from it too... but ...it's too late in the game to put client backup into SBS 2011 now.

Microsoft never intended to add major things to SBS 2011 standard, merely to 'refresh' the parts.  When you have an immovable wall, you can't budge things.

Monday, January 10, 2011 10:31 PM
  • DE is one thing, managing backups are another and I agree that the SQL server should never be on any sort of 'software raid', I dedicate a hardware raid card/drives to SQL every time.
    Monday, January 10, 2011 10:38 PM
  • " I still haven't made up my mind whether to drag out my OEM
    copy of WHS v1 or not. Seems kind of like a waste of time to me."

I feel the same way, it takes time to get everything going with either version. I would rather spend that time working on the x64 beta than going back. 

I have used Acronis to back everything up on my computers for a long time so it isn't something new, I even have this going on during beta testing for backup.

--
    Don
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 2:40 AM
  • This expiration is ____.  For those who don't come to this site often the blue screen of death announcing the expiration came as a real shock.   And the next beta out in the distant future (any bets on the over/under of 6 weeks ?) is more icing on cake.

Hopefully the blue screen will stay away long enough to salvage some files.

Nice way to treat your testing community.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:08 AM
  • I have WHS blog feed in my Outlook. There was no post about this.

I walked into my basement to find a BSOD stating the evaluation was over. Gee... Thanks...

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Hopefully this will turn those frowns upside down: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-enables-workaround-for-expiring-vail-home-server-beta/8408

Or, you could always reboot, go into BIOS and change the date back a few days. This will stop your BETA server from auto rebooting long enough to get your files moved.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:46 PM
  • I would happily change the bios if I wasn't running a video headless Intel SS4200.  

Oh well, after reading through this thread any my responses on connect I have one conclusion:  

• MICROSOFT SCREWED UP. 

Simple as that, if you want us to test your software and buzz about it on endless blogs and professional sites you don't do silly things like this.  It has been a long time since I have seen a maneuver like this.  Last time they killed the product.

Note: yes Microsoft we understand that under the EULA and agreement you can do what you want. Does not mean you should.  When you do you ____ off customers.

So many ways to fix this, yet we still hear nothing.  

Have fun, going back to Linux build.

Best

Microsoft promises never ever, not ever, to release a product before its launch date.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 10:27 PM
  • I don't think that WHS2 sets up a domain.  It uses the connector software to do the dirty work within the workgroup structure.  I modified the hosts file so that the WHS2 server is known to all of the  computers in my home network.  If they allow setting up of domains in WHS2, that would be great.  I would love to setup active directory and a domain so that syncing of passwords would be a no hassle affair.  This would allow me to use SAM to sync the passwords of boxes in the DMZ!

I purchased a Dell T110 entry level server with the max config including 16GB of RAM and WHS2 runs just fine.  It is definitely faster than any NAS (even the HP NAS) that I have and this feature alone is worth getting WHS2 when it comes out.  I really don't care about DE as long as I don't get any hassles when trying to install WHS2 using a REVOdrive as the boot disk and a Promise RAID controller for the data.

I really got a lot of hassles with WHS1 trying to use the Promise RAID controller so I would like to avoid that.

~Cliff
    • Edited by CFujii Saturday, January 15, 2011 5:37 PM
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Well there is the cost.  If Vail has a similar price structure as WHS1, then $100 will purchase the OS and 10 users.  Not bad! Right now, SBS2008 standard edition costs $750!

I don't think that many home users will bite for SBS...

~Cliff
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 5:05 PM
  • Vail does not set up a domain.
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 5:20 PM
  • I think you're missing the point.  I believe that Microsoft intended WHS for the OEM channel.  What's interesting is that Dell sent me a survey for people that have purchased servers in the last year.  WHS was listed as an OS choice (Dell servers are available without an OS)l.

I indicated that the T110 server I purchased last year was intended to test WHS2.  I'm wondering if Dell is considering getting into the WHS market...It would be great if they did.  The T110 I purchased was configured with an Intel® Xeon X3470, 2.93 GHz, 8M Cache, Turbo, HT, 16GB Memory (4x4GB), 250GB 7.2k RPM Serial ATA 3Gbps 3.5-in Cabled Hard Drive as the boot, and 2x 1TB 7.2K RPM SATA 3Gbps 3.5-in Cabled Hard Drive as the data drives.  Since DE is going away, I will have to purchase another data drive and use a Promise RAID controller for the next version of the BETA.  Somewhat inconvenient but if MS supports the RAID configuration, that would be great.

I have the T110 turned off right now and am using the HP NAS to perform the backup functions.  Not as easy as WHS2 but better than nothing.  I hope the next beta comes out sooner than later.  With the removal of DE, I'm thinking that installing it will require not an upgrade but a complete replacement of the OS.

~Cliff
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 5:31 PM
  • Thanks for the tip.  I did the installation and it did move the expiration date to March.  The only issue is that it now thinks that it's non-genuine Microsoft software.

I only installed the .iso file.

~Cliff
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 8:17 AM
  • On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 08:17:15 +0000, CFujii wrote:

Thanks for the tip.? I did the installation and it did move the expiration date to March.? The only issue is that it now thinks that it's non-genuine Microsoft software.

That's because you're now running a beta of the service pack. Have you
    activated since installing the SP beta?

Paul Adare
    The faulty interface lies between the chair and the keyboard.

Sunday, January 16, 2011 8:29 AM
  • I thought I did when I typed in slmgr.vbs -ipk <product key> , but when I went back and manually activated with the new product key, it looks like WHS2 now passes the 'genuine' test.

I also found that the slmgr.vbs –ato command doesn't work.  I had to use the slmgr.vbs /ato command.

Thanks for the tip

~Cliff
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 5:39 PM
  • On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:40:43 +0000, CFujii wrote:

I also found that the *slmgr.vbs ?ato*command doesn't work.? I had to use the *slmgr.vbs /ato*command.

Did you copy and paste the -ato command from somewhere or did you type it
    at the command prompt yourself? If the former then the problem is that when
    the -ato switch was formatted for wherever you copied it from, the "-" got
    changed to the wrong kind of dash.

Paul Adare
    If at first you don't succeed, you must be a programmer.

Sunday, January 16, 2011 5:51 PM
  • I did copy and paste the command string.  When I typed in the command, it worked fine.

Thanks,

~Cliff
    Monday, January 17, 2011 4:00 PM
  • Can we subscribe anywhere to be notified of the new release?
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Keep watching here. It will be minutes before that news pops up here too.

Can we subscribe anywhere to be notified of the new release?

Have a nice day!
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:34 PM
  • What has Microsoft done to my server???

I have two -- a WHS server (for production) and a VailServer.  When the 1/10/11 announcement came out I just turned off the Vail test machine because I didn't have time to deal with it then.

Yesterday I researched and downloaded the "patches" to start up and fix the VailServer.  After the VailServer was up and while I was getting the Service Pack ready to go -- the VailServer blue screened with a code about the Evaluation being up.   No big deal.  I rebooted and put in my legal Windows 7 disk to convert the test machine to other purposes.

Since that time, every time I try to install Windows, I get to the end of the white check-off list showing the install process -- and then screen goes black but my cursor is white and visible.  But nothing happens and nothing goes any further.  Tried it with three or four copies of Win 7, XP, etc.  Nothing loads.

On the other hand, I loaded both ubuntu server and desktop ubuntu and both installed and ran just fine.

What the devil has Microsoft done to my server?  Nothing Windows will install but everything else will?!

I would appreciate some help before I get really upset about this.  I'm fast leaning toward the "Out with WHS" crowd. 

Rev

X

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 10:41 PM
  • Have you tried removing all partitions on the system disk.

I have had an issue previously on Vail bare metal restores which failed and in doing so did something rather strange to the partition table resulting in disk being unusable. The disk needed removing from the server and connecting to another machine to remove all partitions. Once that was done the disk was back to normal and could be re-used.

No idea as to what it had done to the disk or partition table but in the case of my machine that was the fix.

Dave

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 11:46 PM
  • What has Microsoft done to my server???

I have two -- a WHS server (for production) and a VailServer.  When the 1/10/11 announcement came out I just turned off the Vail test machine because I didn't have time to deal with it then.

Yesterday I researched and downloaded the "patches" to start up and fix the VailServer.  After the VailServer was up and while I was getting the Service Pack ready to go -- the VailServer blue screened with a code about the Evaluation being up.   No big deal.  I rebooted and put in my legal Windows 7 disk to convert the test machine to other purposes.

Since that time, every time I try to install Windows, I get to the end of the white check-off list showing the install process -- and then screen goes black but my cursor is white and visible.  But nothing happens and nothing goes any further.  Tried it with three or four copies of Win 7, XP, etc.  Nothing loads.

On the other hand, I loaded both ubuntu server and desktop ubuntu and both installed and ran just fine.

What the devil has Microsoft done to my server?  Nothing Windows will install but everything else will?!

I would appreciate some help before I get really upset about this.  I'm fast leaning toward the "Out with WHS" crowd. 

Rev

X

I was writing a detailed instruction for you when I got screwed by pressing a wrong button refreshing my screen and loosing my edits. Not going to repeat again but it boils down to:

• Remove the disk and attach it to a working external Win7 platform system.
    • Run the "Clean" command of Diskpart in command prompt. Search Microsoft Knowledgebase on how to run Diskpart. Make sure you select the right disk.

Running clean command removes all definition on the disk, including the MBR. You then re-use the disk. Mazzle.

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 12:54 AM
  • I wrote a reply three hours ago recounting my 1/10/11-related problem -- blue screen and can't load any Windows version since.  My computer is

seriously messed up by whatever they did for the expiry.

Now that post is gone -- and when I tried to question what became of it the system wouldn't take my second reply.

I need suggestions on how to get my server working again and so I need that post back here. 

Where is my post?? 

Rev

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 1:46 AM
  • On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 01:46:27 +0000, butchconner wrote:

Where is my post??

It is still there, and you've had two responses.

Paul Adare
    God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 1:52 AM
  • Thank you for answering -- and thanks to both of you who responded with suggestions.  I love suggestions and appreciate folks who make them!!!

Since earlier, I put another drive in as boot drive on the machine (with the idea I could load Win 7 on it and use it to diagnose the clean whatever

was done to the other drive.)  Cleaned the MBR.  But the same phenomenon occurs on the new drive.   I will try pulling both and doing what was suggested.  And I will

report back.

Again, thanks.

Rev

EDIT:  I did everything from reset the CMOS on my motherboard to wipe the hard drives as has been suggested -- and as of this morning it appears I have the unit back working. 

Thanks again to those who offered help and a pox upon those who made it happen. 

bc

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 2:49 AM