I can not access my whs hp mediasmart server either via connector or via RDC. RRS feed

• Question

• Neither the home server connector, RDC, any of my shares or just browsing using windows explorer nothing works and I get a "specified server name no longer valid" or similar type of error if I use the console etc..

Odd thing is WHS is booted all lights on and stable. Reboot makes no difference.

I'm at a complete loss. Everything else on my network works all the other two PC's, IPad and laptop. Internet works everything.

I'm not hyper technical and not think of anything else to do.

Oh and when i pinged the server by ip address or by name that was fine. 

My printer is attached to my WHS and no one can print.

device does appear in router with usual ip address and mac address etc.

without RDC or the console I'm completely blind. 

Does anyone have any thoughts please...

Do i do a server recovery with disk supplied? never done that before so a little afraid I might loose data...

any thoughts really welcome.

Ian.
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 7:59 PM

All replies

• OK, as this is now on a thread of its own, this was my response from your previous question:

"Sounds as though it has locked up before getting to the WHS desktop - have you installed anything new which might have caused this? Can  you ping it by name as well as IP address? Does your WHS have a monitor output? If so, try logging on locally."

Your response:

"and no nothing new for months and hp mediasmart servers dont have monitor connection. So think I'm going to regret that missing feature!!!

oddly enough I can ping by its name which i wasnt expecting as i certainly can not browse to it in intenet explorer by name.

I've never used the server recovery disk, but I'm slightly afraid I might loose data. is that a good option or a bad one to go with?

Thanks so much for replying..

Ian."

OK, Didn't realise it was a MediaSmart and consequently no video! Have a look at these two FAQs which should give you an idea of the risks of data loss. MediaSmart re-installation I believe is done from a Client computer with a disk provided by HP - they should have provided the procedure. Of course the failure could be some form of hardware failure which would not be helped by a re-installation:

Drive failure risks

Data Recovery

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 8:21 PM
  • not sure i'm ready for the risk of a recovery just yet. Still dont understand why the windows connector is green and healthy and lights out addin reports all is ok and its running... That sort of suggests that WHS desktop is running..

Need to ponder some more before i give up and go for the risky options...

Ian.
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 11:37 PM
  • Ah, some more information revealed. Have you changed anything on your network that could have changed your Server IP address? How do you connect with RDP - by IP or Server Name? Try doing it with whatever your current Ping reports the server's IP address to be. Alternatively use a browser to try to access http://<IP address>.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 11:46 PM
  • Phil thanks again for suggestions. 

nothing has been touched on my network for at least 4-6 months and everything has been completely stable since that very minor change.

RDP uses the server name. I triend using ipaddress instead but that would not connect and just timed out trying after a couple of minutes. Using the browser is also fruitless.

I just do not understand how everything can work so well nothing changes and suddenly its a complete nightmare with no way to connect and no info on whats going wrong.

Ian.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 6:58 PM
  • Ian, did you ever determine how to get your hp server back online?  I am have the exact same problems you described above.  Nothing was changed on my network.  I was loaded quite a bit of data and it may have started to load on the system disk as well.  I did do system restore and it seem to work for 20 minutes or so.  Went through updates and finally able to disable media servers but that is it.  Reboots have not worked yet I can ping both IP and Server Name as well as connector status shows healthy.  At a complete loss. 

Can someone please help??

Barron

Sunday, January 29, 2012 3:09 AM
  • I too 'lost' my server.  It shows up sometimes in Network Neighborhood but can no longer access anything on the server.  All blue lights in front.  I drastically need a viable resolution as I have years of family photos on it!

If I remove all the drives besides the system drive, can I restore the server and then put the drives back without losing data?  Has anyone come up with a solution as yet???

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:33 PM
  • If I remove all the drives besides the system drive, can I restore the server and then put the drives back without losing data?
    No. Drives not present during recovery will not reintegrate into the storage pool.
    Has anyone come up with a solution as yet???
    As a practical matter, see this FAQ. But I would try a recovery (with all drives connected) first; if you don't get the option to recover your server, then stop at that point, proceed as in the FAQ, restore your server to factory state, then rejoin clients, update your server, copy data back. Do you use the backup tool built into the console?.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 3:56 PM
  • I will look at the FAQ, thank you!  As I haven't looked yet, I assume there are instructions on how to do the recovery...as I can't actually 'get' to the box and of course there being no direct monitor hooked up.  Problem with copying the data back is that I was using it as my primary file server with the built in redundancy?  I can't afford to lose any of my data...  I fear I have made a terrible mistake not making ANOTHER backup of my files, but I felt fairly safe with the redundancy afforded me by the server... my mistake?
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:25 AM
  • I am about to do the reset option but need to fully understand the risk to the data on my drives.  Am I about to lose all my data?
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 9:51 AM
  • Okay, discovered that my main drive failed.  Will not spin.  Problem:  I don't have a recovery disk nor any way to retrieve it from the failed disk.  I know I need to replace the drive and am copying data off the server as we 'speak' but have no way to reload the OS without the disk.  Anyone know how I can get this or can I put any OS on there...
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:10 AM
  • You can contact HP to see if they can replace the recovery media originally supplied with your server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 11:49 AM