How can I restore a backup now that I've installed Windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• I'll admit I was a dummy.  I didn't check and see whether OneCare would work ong Windows 7 or not before I installed it.  So now my backedup files are on my external hard drive as dictated by OneCare.  I'm at a loss as to how to recover these files.

Is there any work-around to try and get to these files?  Its pretty important that I get these in a reasonable amount of time.  

Thanks in advance! 
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 4:24 PM

Answers

• Hello VelocityTad, you can use a decompression tool such as WinZip to extract the One Care backups then copy and paste the files to a location of your choosing.
    Jim
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 5:40 PM

All replies

• Hello VelocityTad, you can use a decompression tool such as WinZip to extract the One Care backups then copy and paste the files to a location of your choosing.
    Jim
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 5:40 PM
  • If you use the WinZip method, you may find that some files were split by OneCare before compressing into the .zip files. You can use this tool to rejoin them:

File rejoin utility - http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

An alternative would be to restore the files to another PC that is running XP or Vista after installing OneCare as a trial user on it.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:40 PM
  • Well, I'm in the same situation, but I have over 3000 ZIP files and the bloody permissions won't change when I edit for the folder they are in...and I can't open the file!  If I change security on the file itself it works and I can open the ZIP, but really don't want to do it 3879 times!!!  Any help?
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 3:08 PM
  • There is a pretty good tutorial on taking ownership of files in Vista here - http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67717-take-ownership-file.html
    Jim
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 5:18 PM
  • Ok, well screwed now.  Renamed all the zips to try and get hjoin to work, but it didn't.  Stupidly enough did this on my XP pc that still has onecare on it!!!  If I put all the files back I hope the restore will work...but now they all have wrong names.  You would think it would have been easier to make OneCare work on your own operating system!!!
    Friday, February 13, 2009 12:08 PM
  • Why did you change the names of the zip files?
    Rename them back to have an extension of .zip
    Download and install Winzip trial - www.winzip.com - 30 days full functioning trial
    Unzip the contents of the zip files to a temporary directory
    Any files that were split will be called %filename%.001 .002 .003 etc. Use the utility referenced above to join the split files.
    If you need help, contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, February 13, 2009 4:38 PM
  • I renamed them as I thought I had to join zip files rather than the output files; but put them back as zips and have extracted everything.  Unfortunately hjoin tells me there is nothing to do when I run it on my music directory.  From the readme I think it is looking for files called "musicfile.001" "musicfile.002" and will join those; the extracted split files are called "part##1 of musicfile.wma" however so it just ignores them.  Any solution other than renaming these to something it will join?  

edit - also tried contacting support several times, each time the web page gave an error when I hit submit after filling out detailed info.  Also, restoring on a winXP PC did not work as by this time I had moved the files around etc. too much already...wish I had thought of it/read it here earlier!!
    • Edited by mkent_barbados Monday, February 16, 2009 12:00 PM more info
    Monday, February 16, 2009 11:58 AM
  • Well, we are getting closer, it seems. Going to support may be the best way to go now.

Unofficial path - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/9674bf1a-4864-45cc-8e73-dc1bf2dff856
    I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

-steve

Monday, February 16, 2009 5:00 PM
  • Ok, well, didn't think support would be able to help but thank you very much for your offer to connect me.  

I used my rename utility "Bulk Rename Utility" to strip the Part ## and add .001/.002 to the files; takes a second when looking at the screen to figure out as its a bit complicated but it gives you a preview, and then ran hjoin32 and so all is well now.

Great response in here from the MVP's so have to say thanks for that.  But still peeved that OneCare didn't run on Win7 (and peeved Microsoft is cancelling it).  

Thanks again,
    Mark
    Monday, February 16, 2009 6:33 PM
  • I'm glad to read that you were able to resolve it with the rename. Thanks for letting us know the details as i've never actually performed the steps to manually deal with restoring backups or joining split files within backups - I only knew that support had assisted others with the same steps. The renaming of split files wasn't previously mentioned!
    Glad to have been of help. And I hear you regarding the future of OneCare or the fact that it won't run on Windows 7 - it is too bad. As you can tell, I like the program, despite its quirks.
    -steve
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:40 PM