The hidden data removal tool, and invalid Office RRS feed

• Question

• Well, just discovered that my copy of Office is not genuine, and I'm a bit put out.  I just recently moved, so I would be hard-pressed to find my "original" Office CDs.  Is there any other way to remove the meta-data in the office files, or to get this thing working without buying Office again?  I'm really looking more for the first option, since I create Office documents on the legally licensed PCs at my school.  At this point, I'd rather uninstall Office and use OpenOffice and OpenOffice Portable, which will at least import Office files, last I heard, than spend more money on something I already paid for.  Does anyone know if converting all my Office documents to their OpenOffice equivalents will strip the meta-data?  If so, I can just delete the old Office documents after I save them as an OpenOffice file.  As for all the propaganda, "Microsoft Genuine Quality" or whatever, can... do something disgusting and inappropriate to certain bits of anatomy.
    Sunday, November 26, 2006 5:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• Microsoft does not offer support for third-party applications such as OpenOffice.  You need to uninstall your non-genuine copy of Microsoft Office, then go out and purchase a genuine copy of Microsoft Office, take it home and install it.
    Sunday, November 26, 2006 9:44 PM
  • Perhaps I should clarify my question.   My question is: Is there a way to strip the metadata from Office files without owning or even having  a copy of Office on my PC?  I will still be creating Office documents on the PCs at school with proper licenses, so that's why I want to know. 
    On a side note, I wasn't asking Microsoft to support OpenOffice, I was asking a general question to anyone here who might know the difference in the file formats. 
    And finally, at this point, all I can tell you is that I will be uninstalling my non-genuine copy of Office,because I prefer to do things legitimately. However, I'm not shelling out another $300-500 (or whatever the "discounted" price might be for me being a fool) for something I thought I had bought a genuine copy of.
    Sunday, November 26, 2006 11:26 PM
  • Please post your inquiry to the experts in "Discussions in Office General Questions": http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.office.misc&lang=en&cr=US
    Monday, November 27, 2006 2:45 AM
  • My Outlook 2003, which I purchased at Staples a number of years ago, is now being called not genuine.  Can I revalidate my product without removing & reinstalling?  I have the disk but worry about losing data, settings, etc.  When I try to validate from withing the program, it says it's already validated.  Any suggestions, short of reinstalling?  Is it possible my Staples is not valid??  Thank you,
    Tuesday, November 28, 2006 10:56 AM
  • Description of the Office Activation Wizard: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293151/en-us

How to troubleshoot problems that you may experience when you try to activate an Office product: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/en-us

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 4:20 AM
  • I went to the suggested sites, and could not make sense of the instructions etc.  Went all over MS trying to figure it out, & being afraid of goofing up my system...I called MS; didn't wait too long, and received EXCELLENT service. The tech fixed my problem (easy for him!) after patiently going over my system for well over an hour and there was no question of a charge and no attitude!!
    Thursday, November 30, 2006 11:18 AM
  • I was quite happy with my Windows since buying it with the computer a few years back.  Then a few weeks ago I received the now customary message that my installation was counterfeit. Called the agents here in London to tell them - only to find they are no longer in business.  I have my "Word" "Office" and other CD's but not the Windows. I should have obviously been more careful when I took delivery.

I'm relocating overseas  in February where the voltages are different to the UK so I'm hardly going to spend money installing a "genuine" operating system at this stage.  I'm handing over this ageing machine to my neighbour, whose computer  is even older but who has her own XP she can install.   OK - my fault for not checking scrupulously at the outset, but I feel I've been "done".  

Tuesday, December 5, 2006 6:49 PM