File Types that won't sync RRS feed

• Question

• What are the File Types that Live Mesh and Live Sync ignore or won't sync?
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 6:51 PM

Answers

• Please see our Known Issues sticky for the full list (for Live Mesh; Live Sync is a different product).

Thanks,

Ben.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:05 PM

All replies

• Please see our Known Issues sticky for the full list (for Live Mesh; Live Sync is a different product).

Thanks,

Ben.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:05 PM
  • Thanks Ben. I am sorry I didn't see that list before.

You cannot synchronize or share the following with Live Mesh:

• Files containing obscene or copyrighted material. Copying or sharing unauthorized materials, including materials that you did not create or you do not have the rights necessary for use, is a violation of the Windows Live terms of use. See the Microsoft Copyright Notice and FAQ.
    • Files whose names begin with a tilde (~)
    • desktop.ini
    •  thumbs.db
    •  Hidden files
    • Windows Systems folders
    • Your Desktop directory folder (for example, C:\users\[myusername]\Desktop on Windows Vista or C:\Documents and Settings\[myusername]\Desktop on Windows XP)
    • Files and folders stored on removable media (such as an external hard drive, flash drive, or USB drive)
    • Files and folders stored on mapped network drives

Live Mesh also blocks files that have the following file extensions:

• .bak
    • .gfs
    • .lnk
    • .mbf
    • .mny
    • .mpc
    • .pst
    • .sav
    • .tmp
    • .wlx
    • .laccdb
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:43 PM
  • Is there any way to make a .mny file sync? I would love to be able to have my whole documents folder backed up on my mesh, and it looks like that's the last thing I'm missing. It's a pretty important file, too!
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:01 AM
  • Not without renaming the file, which would cause Money to not open the file.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:23 PM
  • Is there anyway you can make the program backup the MNY files? As this is a very important file and i would love to be able to sync this file to other machines in my house using Mesh. i use it for a number of files already!
    THANKS!

Also, without renaming the file! as that is kind of pointless unless you rename the file every time you want to do a backup. =) THANKS!
    Friday, August 7, 2009 4:50 PM
  • As has been answered before, no. It is an excluded file type.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, August 7, 2009 5:30 PM
  • yes i do understand that. But can you guys REMOVE it fromthe excluded file types? i would think you would exclude MP3 over MNY files. My MNY file is much more important then any MP3.
    Friday, August 7, 2009 6:30 PM
  • Since I'm a volunteer moderator and fellow user, no, I can't remove it from the excluded file types. :-) However, I udnerstand why you would want that to be done by the Live Mesh team. The best I can offer is that you should check if someone has already submitted this as a suggestion on Connect and, if not, submit a new bug report with your request. And, if you do file a new suggestion, please post the link back here because I'm sure that others agree with you, despite the fact that Microsoft Money is an end of life product. It's my understanding that an update will be released to allow use of Money forever without any of the online features.
    Details on how to vote or submit a suggestion here:

Live Mesh Beta: Suggestions - Go cast your vote!

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, August 7, 2009 6:57 PM