Trouble shooting a third party com add-in in Excel RRS feed

• Question

• Trouble shooting a third party com add-in

We are using a third party add-in; using several methods form the add-in.  The methods in this add-in accept data and make a call to a server to process the data and return the results.  The methods in the add-in are being called form a VBA macro in Excel. 

All the add-in methods work except one.  The methods work by getting a set of parameters and placing data in a worksheet at a designated location by giving it an excel range of the starting cell.  For the parameters we fill in an object supplied by the add-in that is a collection of a named value pair the value being a variant of an atomic value.  The location for the returned information is an Excel range.  The one that does not work we are giving the method an excel range to retrieve the data form.  The place to retrieve the data is an object supplied by the add-in of a name value collection where the value is an Excel range. 

We can trace the VBA code to the call to the add-in method and see the call come a crossed to the server.  However, on the method that fails we trace it to the call to the add-in method and there Excel hangs up and is total unresponsive and the call never shows up in the server; we have to use the task manage to kill Excel and restart Excel to get it back.  The task manager indicates that Excel is running and not unresponsive.   In addition we can see the add-in come and go in the tasks manager when calling the add-in methods that work.  However, for the add-in method that fails the add-in does not show up. 

Any ideas on how to see in the black box between excel and the Add-in to see what is going on?   

Mike Reed

• Moved by Cindy Meister MVP Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:14 PM not programming (From:Visual Studio Tools for Office)
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• you can use windbg and set breakpoints at specific methods or just wait for first chance exceptions, but would not it be easier to just ask add-in author for help?
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

It's hard to trouble shooting the add-in whose source code is unknown. I would recommend you review following reference: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/haahmadi/archive/2010/05/26/my-vsto-add-in-does-not-load.aspx before you begin your trouble shooting. This article provide general way to trouble shooting the add-in's load behavior. And it can provide you many useful information for further work. I hope it can help you.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:42 AM
  • We fix the problem.  We talked to the author.  I look like we did not have all the right parts for the version we were using.

I appreciate the references on trouble shooting add-ins. 

Thank you all for your help. 

Mike Reed

Thursday, December 13, 2012 1:33 PM
  • Glad you were able to fix the problem :-)

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:13 PM