none
Number of tests required for MCSD? RRS feed

• Question

• When I look at the MSCD I am not clear if I need 2 or 3 exams. I have 70-483 and am working on 70-486

Looking here

These two exams are required for MCSA but then the MCSD says you need one exam but then the same exams are listed there.

Do I only need two OR is this a typo on this page and should say an additional exam is required?

Friday, January 25, 2019 8:26 PM

Answers

• The following information is taken from:

MCSA: Web Applications

MCSA: Universal Windows Platform

MCSD: App Builder

For completing MCSA: Web Applications you need to pass exam 70-480 or 70-483 along with exam 70-486, that is, you need to pass two exams.

For completing MCSA: Universal Windows Platform you need to pass exam 70-483 and exam 70-357, that is, you need to pass two exams.

For completing MCSD: App builder you need to have either MCSA: Web Applications or MCSA: Universal Windows Platform and pass one elective exam.

An exam should count only once towards a certification. That does not mean that 70-483 counts either for MCSA: Web Application or MCSA: Universal Windows Platform - in this case it counts for both. That means if the exam is listed as a mandatory exam towards MCSA, then it should not count as an elective for completing MCSD.

So, for MCSD you need 2 MCSA exams + 1 MCSD elective = 3 exams in total.

Saturday, January 26, 2019 10:22 AM
  • An update:

Since there are lot of changes going on around certification, it is possible that sometimes an information on the Microsoft Learning site is not yet up to date, but updates and changes happen. On the Explore Microsoft Certifications page, a sentence is in the middle of the page:

For a comprehensive look at all Microsoft Certification paths, download our guide here.

which has the link on the word here. Click on the link to download the Microsoft Certification Path Competency Areas PDF document containing recent changes and updates to certification exams and paths. I've checked the link few days ago and the document was not complete while today it seems it is.

It gives a nice graphical overview of certification paths along with required and elective exams.

Saturday, January 26, 2019 11:29 AM

All replies

• The following information is taken from:

MCSA: Web Applications

MCSA: Universal Windows Platform

MCSD: App Builder

For completing MCSA: Web Applications you need to pass exam 70-480 or 70-483 along with exam 70-486, that is, you need to pass two exams.

For completing MCSA: Universal Windows Platform you need to pass exam 70-483 and exam 70-357, that is, you need to pass two exams.

For completing MCSD: App builder you need to have either MCSA: Web Applications or MCSA: Universal Windows Platform and pass one elective exam.

An exam should count only once towards a certification. That does not mean that 70-483 counts either for MCSA: Web Application or MCSA: Universal Windows Platform - in this case it counts for both. That means if the exam is listed as a mandatory exam towards MCSA, then it should not count as an elective for completing MCSD.

So, for MCSD you need 2 MCSA exams + 1 MCSD elective = 3 exams in total.

Saturday, January 26, 2019 10:22 AM
  • An update:

Since there are lot of changes going on around certification, it is possible that sometimes an information on the Microsoft Learning site is not yet up to date, but updates and changes happen. On the Explore Microsoft Certifications page, a sentence is in the middle of the page:

For a comprehensive look at all Microsoft Certification paths, download our guide here.

which has the link on the word here. Click on the link to download the Microsoft Certification Path Competency Areas PDF document containing recent changes and updates to certification exams and paths. I've checked the link few days ago and the document was not complete while today it seems it is.

It gives a nice graphical overview of certification paths along with required and elective exams.

Saturday, January 26, 2019 11:29 AM