External applications and CRM 2011 Online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Forum.

I am about to embark on a project that part of which is to create an online ordering system (much like your standard shopping cart) for a client and a requirement we have is that it submits all of its orders and extracts all of its products to and from a Dynamics CRM 2011 Online implementation.

I would like to suss out whether this is possible, what challenges I may face, the best procedures to go about this and any other suggestions the community may have.

I am currently looking at writing it up in Asp.Net with C#. I've found that it is possible to connect to a CRM deployment like so:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff681567.aspx

So I assume that you can query data also possibly through LINQ, although I have much to learn in the ways of LINQ:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff681573.aspx

Thank you for any and all responses.

Regards,

Spike.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 12:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

what you want to do is definitely possible with Dynamics CRM. Dynamics CRM exposes much functionality that you can use to implement your scenarios.

One of the decisions you will have to make is if you will be programming with early or late bound entities (look here for some info on that). I personally like to programm with the late bound entities using the Organization Service (IOrganizationService). You can take a look here to find some useful information on the Organization Service along with some samples.

The IOrganization interface is fairly intuitive, once you have become acquainted with the Dynamics CRM entity model.

Greetings,

Pavlos

Please mark this reply as answer if it helps you find a resolution to your problem.

• Marked as answer by Spike Tickner Monday, October 8, 2012 4:48 AM
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

what you want to do is definitely possible with Dynamics CRM. Dynamics CRM exposes much functionality that you can use to implement your scenarios.

One of the decisions you will have to make is if you will be programming with early or late bound entities (look here for some info on that). I personally like to programm with the late bound entities using the Organization Service (IOrganizationService). You can take a look here to find some useful information on the Organization Service along with some samples.

The IOrganization interface is fairly intuitive, once you have become acquainted with the Dynamics CRM entity model.

Greetings,

Pavlos

Please mark this reply as answer if it helps you find a resolution to your problem.

• Marked as answer by Spike Tickner Monday, October 8, 2012 4:48 AM
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:44 AM
  • Thanks Pavlos! That is some good information. I have read in various places that a special kind of license, the "External Connector license" is required for some external connection to CRM. Could you confirm if this is the case for us and what kind of license we will require to perform this? Or explain a little about the external connector license.

Given that only the application need access the CRM deployment I am assuming we will only need one user although I've encountered (but not yet studied thoroughly) the subjects of impersonation. Would we require this or would it apply to our case in any manner?

I'll certainly mark your post an answer. (Maybe append to original with edit for the benefit of others).

Thank you kindly for your time.

- Spike

Sunday, October 7, 2012 11:05 PM
  • Hi Spike,

I don't really know much about the external connector license, but I think it is a license that only provides limited access to Dynamics CRM Resources. It includes only a very limited subset of the capabilities of a CAL License. For more information see this post here.

You can accomplish impersonation by instantiating the Organization Service with a privileged account, such as an Administrator account and setting a property of the Organization Service called "CallerId" to the corresponding current user's Id. Which means your application would need one user license of a user that is privileged to impersonate other users. You can find some more info on impersonation here and here.

Hope I could help you.

Greetings,

Pavlos

Monday, October 8, 2012 4:45 AM