How to customize the required fields to fill out for a contact, account, opportunity, etc RRS feed

• Question

• Im having issues figuring out how to (and where to go) customize the fields i want my employees to fill out when creating an account, opportunity, contact, etc...Please help! Thanks!

-MarkTC

Thursday, June 28, 2012 12:20 PM

All replies

• Go to Settings >>  Customizations >>  Customize the System

Then you are given a choice of what you want to change in the left bar.  If you are changing names of fields or adding some new fields, go to entities and look the entity you are interested in.    I would try to just change the name of a field first to get the hang of it.  Oh..  before you will see the change, you need to publish them via the button at the top of the screen.

Regards ...

Rick Davey
    Bleu Cypress llc

Bleu Cypress WebSite
    CRM Xperts WebSite
    My Bleu Cypress Blog

Thursday, June 28, 2012 1:13 PM
  • Mark,

settings->customization->customize entities->Open the entity you want to customize (account, contact....)

Go to attributes, double click on the attribute and you will see a dropdown called "Requirement Level". Select the appropiate value and publish the change. No one will be able to save an instance of the entity without having the field filled in.

If you are looking at dynamically changing the required fields just get some JS on your onSave event doing data validation checks, display an alert and don't let the form to be saved.

Hope this helpsM

Martin

• Proposed as answer by MartinPingelov Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:10 PM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:09 PM
  • where is the "attributes" section? i cannot locate it...

Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:15 PM
  • when you click customize entities, you get a list of all customizable entities.

Double click the one you need, account for example, then it brings up a smaller window for the account entity. Look on the left side of this window, from top to bottom the options are:

*Information (Default)

*Forms and Views

*Attributes (The one you need)

*1:N relationships

*N:1 relationships

*&N:N relationships

Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:22 PM
  • i dont have attributes in that list? i have all the others with the exception of attributes
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:33 PM
  • which entity is that? CRM 4 ?
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:37 PM
  • i found it...thank u for your help! it was under "details" once you double click on a field within the form
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:44 PM
  • You are welcome.
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:10 PM
  • Attributes are now referred to as "Fields" in CRM 2011, if that is the version you are using.

You can get to the field through the details tab of the field properties on the form, but it may be quicker to get to it directly from the customisation pane. You can also select more than one field at once, hit the edit button and change the requirement level for all selected fields to the same.

Note that if you make a field Business Required, this is only honoured on forms, so it has no impact on things like data import or workflows.

Hope this helps. Adam Vero, MCT

Friday, June 29, 2012 9:21 AM