xxxx.homeserver.com web RRS feed

• Question

• Is the   .homeserver.com    live connect site always down like this? I am fairly new to using WHS but it seems most times I try to connect via the .homeserver.com site, the site is down!    Kind of ridiculous! If I wait awhile, I it comes back on. Is this common?

Thanks

Monday, March 30, 2009 4:25 PM

Answers

• It should have nothing to do with Windows Live Custom Domains. The error you're seeing is from your server. Could you try a reboot of your server as a first step?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 30, 2009 8:59 PM

All replies

• Can you give more detail about what you're seeing? Where are you connecting from, for example? What browser? What error(s) are you seeing? etc.
    Monday, March 30, 2009 4:57 PM
  • I am trying to sign into WHS Remotely.

I go to (my domain).homeserver.com but the site is down.

I was on early this morning just fine then tried it later and I get a "The handle is invalid" message,  or an "

HTTP 500 - Internal server error Internet Explore . Which suggests to me that the site is down for some reason.

I have tried IE, FF, Chrome, Safari and I have tried it on college campus, at home, on another public wifi...   no go.

I just tried it again now, on my home wifi where it has worked fine... and nothing.

I hope it is just a server maintenance but I would expect a maintenance notification?   I hope this is not a common problem as it will not help in my investment here.
    Monday, March 30, 2009 8:06 PM
  • It should have nothing to do with Windows Live Custom Domains. The error you're seeing is from your server. Could you try a reboot of your server as a first step?
    Monday, March 30, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Well, Ken, you were exactly right. I didn't even think to reboot the server as I just assumed it wasn't my end (but it was). 

Could you explain to me why this happened? What can I do to prevent this in the future?

Thanks!
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:30 AM
  • The reboot is a pragmatic, "this fixes a world of ills, never mind why" approach. :) I can't tell you, other than in the most general terms, what happened, which is that IIS had a problem loading your Remote Access web site, and I can't tell you how to avoid it happening again in the future, because I don't know what might have caused it this time.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 5:10 AM
  • My remote access has stopped working since I upgraded to PP2... 

I try to "repair" the remote access and I get the following:

Verifying that your remote Web site is available locally - pass
    Configuring your router using uPNP standards - pass
    Verifying that your remote Web site is available from the internet - fail

Not sure what PP2 did to break this, I haven't changed any settings, IPs or ports.  I've also released the subdomain and re-applied it.  I've also turned off remote access and turned it back on.
    • Edited by idburns Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:30 PM added info
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:28 PM
  • My remote access to the uTorrent GUI (which uses my homeserver.com domain) works jsut fine outside of my network.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:34 PM
  • Could you please post a separate question, instead of adding on to one that's already marked "Answered"? Thanks!
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:34 PM
  • Sure, most forums I belong to frown upon making multiple threads about the same topics...
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:43 PM
  • There are several reasons. Primarily, though, I made the request because your issue isn't the same as the OP's issue, and thus the answer to his issue isn't relevant to yours.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:04 PM