Storing passwords of external system in MSCRM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I would like to develop a MSCRM Solution which would store username and passwords of an external system.  My design:

- The password is mask to the authorized users.

- Authorized User can edit (update) the password, but cannot see the original value (in mask).

Any recommendation is highly appreciated.

Monday, July 15, 2013 7:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There are various ways you could do this - but perhaps the easiest would be to have two fields - one which stores the password and one that is used to update the password.

You could protect the password field with Field Level security and use a plugin to take the updated value if provided and copy it to the password field.

hth

Scott Durow
    Blog www.develop1.net    Follow Me
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Monday, July 15, 2013 7:29 AM
    Answerer
  • You can secure the password field using field level security, and have a field security profile giving create and update access to the password field, but not read access. What this will do is allow authorized users to enter and save values into the password field, however they will not be able to read the values again once saved to the database. Instead the password field will always appear blank on existing records. You may need to train users so they know that a blank password does not mean there isn't actually a password stored, but otherwise it sounds like this may solve your problem.

Hope that helps

Paul

If my response helped you find your answer please show your thanks by taking the time to "Mark As Answer" and "Vote As Helpful".

Twitter LinkedIn Facebook Blog Magnetism

Monday, July 15, 2013 8:12 AM