LAN Network Driver Acer T671 for Win2003 Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, today I installed WHS on a new ACER T671. All went well until the lanconnector on the motherboard was touched by Win2003. Originally the pc was equipped with Vista and that OS did not have any problems with the lanconnector. Unfortenately Win2003 does not recognize this very necessary peace of hardware and keeps asking for a suitable driver. The existing driver disappeared with the installing of Win2003. I tried the site of Acer for a driver but for the T671 only Vista stuff is available. I downloaded several similar drivers but they were not accepted. Because I expect no results from the supportdesk of Acer in the weekend I installed an old networkcard (100 mb only) in a vacant pci-slot and that was inmediately recognized and so I can now work with WHS! Of course I want to use the fast onboard connector in stead of the old one.

My question is now, who knows were to find a suitable driver to use the onboard lanconnector (1000 mb)?

Saturday, March 3, 2007 10:38 PM

Answers

• Yo, thanks to all the suggestions I was able to find out that the lanconnector is made by Marvell. At their website a lot of drivers are available and in no time I had my mobo lan up and running. Now I wait for my ordered gigabit switch, tomorrow it will be delivered and can I communicate with 1 Gb between the pc's and the WHS.

Tnx for all support... 

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 8:50 AM

All replies

• looks like the pc runs from the ATI RS600 chipset, i would suggest logging onto the AMD/ATI website and downloading the drivers from them rather than acer, AMD currently lists a driver pack which will detect the o/s and install the relevant driver http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_2336,00.html (top of the list)

hope this is of some help to you

Pete

Sunday, March 4, 2007 8:47 AM
  • Hi Pete, tnx for your suggestion. I did DL the driverpack but it didn't work/start. I have a Acer MoBo MRS600M with a Intel Celeron 325 cpu, the chipset is ATI Xpress 1250 (RS600) and the Southbridge ATI SB600. Any other suggestion is still welcome!

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 6:47 PM
  • on further investigation, it appears that the SB600 chipset does not include the controller for the onboard lan, are there any mentions in your documentation about the lan chipset manufacturer (broadcom for example) or on the actual board itself. unfortunately the board model number returned no results.

Pete

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 8:41 PM
  • Take a look at your motherboard.

Near with PCI slots is networkcard processor. Search it.There is  letters and numbers on it.

Use those to search in the internet. I'm sure - drvers for win 2000/XP/ - must be present.

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 9:27 PM
  • Yo, thanks to all the suggestions I was able to find out that the lanconnector is made by Marvell. At their website a lot of drivers are available and in no time I had my mobo lan up and running. Now I wait for my ordered gigabit switch, tomorrow it will be delivered and can I communicate with 1 Gb between the pc's and the WHS.

Tnx for all support... 

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 8:50 AM
  • Ruud,

I'll hope you read this Smile I want to thank you for searching the driver for the network card. Took me 2 hours full of irritations before I found your posting here. And finally the marvell driver is the one I need. Working on XP. Hate vista !

greetings Paul

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:23 PM
  • Hi Paul, I'm glad that you could use my information. My system is now running happily for two months on Gigabit speed. I advise everybody to move up to a wired gigabit lan. A gigabit networkcard is bought overhere in Holland for around 15 Euro and a 5 port gigabit swich can be had for around 40-50 Euro. Makes all the difference in the fun with WHS.

Greetings, Ruud

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:41 PM