Opportunity Product Report RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently looking at creating a Sales Pipeline in Opportunities with Opportunity Products in CRM 4.0.  I have the pipeline running fine and can add all the required products to the Opportunity, but now I want to produce a report that could be passed to a customer to show them what they are being sold before we move them to a quote.

This would be like a proposal of you are looking at buying these products and services at these prices do you agree with this, we can then send multiple versions of this report to the customer before they then move to the final quote which they just agree to (in theory).

Having looked through creating a Mail Merge template it seems you cannot get to the Opportunity Products of the Opportunity, or I am missing something obvious here.

I have also looked at reporting services, but thought this would be a simple report to do seeing as the Sales Pipeline work is all done in Opportunities so I thought this would be a basic requirement to be able to print out the individual opportunity products.

If anyone has done this before, or has any pointers on how this could be done it would be very useful.

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 7:19 PM

Answers

• I would recommend against the Word merge.  We have had very little success with the Word merges for quotes and opportunities because to list the products on the same page you have to execute the merge as a directory, not a letter.

The SQL report would be the easiest way to accomplish your goal.
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Wednesday, August 5, 2009 5:35 PM
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 2:57 PM

All replies

• I would recommend against the Word merge.  We have had very little success with the Word merges for quotes and opportunities because to list the products on the same page you have to execute the merge as a directory, not a letter.

The SQL report would be the easiest way to accomplish your goal.
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Wednesday, August 5, 2009 5:35 PM
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 2:57 PM
  • I agree with Richard on this one. Directory mail merges are hard work and the proof of this is the CRM VPC's quote mail merge doesn't even work. If Microsoft can't get it right what hope do the rest of us have?

Short of becoming an expert on directory merges you have two options: SRS or Excel. SRS is the most elegant solution but Excel is arguably easier. For tips on working with dynamic worksheets, read here http://leontribe.blogspot.com/2009/01/reporting-in-crm-with-excel.html

Leon Tribe
    Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog
    http://leontribe.blogspot.com/
    or hear me tweet @leontribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ or hear me tweet @leontribe
    • Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:54 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:54 PM