Product Key and VLK RRS feed

• Question

• My computer was pre-loaded with Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition; however, at the present time I am getting error messages which state that the Product Key is not valid and the VLK is blocked. I have already taken the computer to the dealer and he said that the problem was taken care of; unfortunately the error still exists. The dealer did not provide me with the Product Key in the documentation which came with my computer. If there is any way to unblock the VLK or if there is any other method to resolve this problem please be sure to let me know. I have sent the dealer e-mails describing the problem and he has not responded to any of the e-mails I have sent.
    Sunday, June 25, 2006 12:36 AM

Answers

• Andrew:

Unfortunately, I'm guessing that your dealer may not be the owner of the Volume License that he/she *may* be illegitimately using. The simplest solution is purchasing a genuine copy of XP Professional from us directly, and reporting the dealer to our antipiracy hotline (www.howtotell.com).

We're instructed to block Volume licenses from the original owner under certain circumstances. In order to unblock the volume license, you'll have to contact our legal and licensing departments (which can be found at www.microsoft.com).

Thanks

-phil liu

Monday, June 26, 2006 6:37 AM

All replies

• Magic25,

Follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Sunday, June 25, 2006 1:35 AM
  • WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-PBCDC-6JHCP-YHWVH
    Windows Product Key Hash: wg0KUxXVw4D8+Vx30qQQ+mkWs2o=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-644-7327664-23888
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: Expired code.
    ID: 9b24034e-7a82-41cf-bb47-f2c2bd1a9697
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.532.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics:

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>9b24034e-7a82-41cf-bb47-f2c2bd1a9697</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-YHWVH</PKey><PID>55274-644-7327664-23888</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-515967899-1606980848-1957994488</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>AWARD_</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20031231000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>48623AD70184A05B</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 
    This is the report from the WGA Diagnostic tool; no I do not have a COA either on the tower nor on any documentation which I received from the dealer. To the best of my knowledge this is Windows XP Professional Edition which was pre-loaded onto my computer by the dealer. The dealer is legitimate and has paid good money for the software which he pre-loads into every system he builds and sells. As I stated before, the VLK is blocked, and if there were a way for me to unblock it it might resolve the issue. It could be as simple as that; so anything that I can do to resolve this problem without going back to the dealer please be sure to let me know. I've taken the system in to him once already and he has stated that the problem had been resolved; however the error message is still there. 

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Andrew Perkins 

Sunday, June 25, 2006 1:50 PM
  • Andrew:

Unfortunately, I'm guessing that your dealer may not be the owner of the Volume License that he/she *may* be illegitimately using. The simplest solution is purchasing a genuine copy of XP Professional from us directly, and reporting the dealer to our antipiracy hotline (www.howtotell.com).

We're instructed to block Volume licenses from the original owner under certain circumstances. In order to unblock the volume license, you'll have to contact our legal and licensing departments (which can be found at www.microsoft.com).

Thanks

-phil liu

Monday, June 26, 2006 6:37 AM
  • Magic25,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 6), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 1).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP in an unauthorized installation.

Volume Licenses of XP are good ONLY as upgrades, IOW, there has to have been a previous genuine installation of Windows on that computer for an upgrade license to be considered a valid license.  The previous genuine installation of Windows would have had a COA either affixed to the computer if it were an OEM license, or would have had a COA as part of the materials that came with the computer or the previous retail boxed operating system.

This is probably where your dealer is making his mistake, thinking that Volume Licenses can be used as the "original" or first license on a computer.

My suggestion would be for you to return to the dealer and request that he replace the blocked Volume License you have now with a genuine Windows XP Home or Pro systembuilder/OEM license of XP.  What you want is the second bullet point (Preinstalled Windows COAs) on the linked page:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

To back up your points and request, see the last two FAQs on this page:  http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/faq.mspx

Monday, June 26, 2006 3:46 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-PBCDC-6JHCP-YHWVH
    Windows Product Key Hash: wg0KUxXVw4D8+Vx30qQQ+mkWs2o=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-644-7327664-23888
    Download Center code: L8B6HTF
    ID: 9b24034e-7a82-41cf-bb47-f2c2bd1a9697
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.540.0
    Signature Type: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    Cache refresh Interval: 80366 seconds
    Extended notification delay(non-genuine): 14
    Extended notification delay(un-activated): 31
    All disabled: 0
    Reminder reduced: 1
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    Signatue Type: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>9b24034e-7a82-41cf-bb47-f2c2bd1a9697</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-YHWVH</PKey><PID>55274-644-7327664-23888</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-515967899-1606980848-1957994488</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>AWARD_</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20031231000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>48623AD70184A05B</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

I do not have a COA, and the diagnostic check results listed above do not show the first five nor second five letters and or numbers in the Product Key. I have been assured by the dealer that this is a genuine version of Windows XP Professional and that he has preinstalled it on every computer he sells.

Friday, August 4, 2006 8:46 PM
  • Magic25,

Either the dealer is not proficient in the details of Microsoft Windows licensing or he is "blowing sunshine up your pantleg."

The dealer is using a Volume License as the original license on the computer, which is in contravention to the details of the Volume License.  Volume Licenses are only Upgrade Licenses; there must first be an original license for the Windows OS on the computer and that license is what is being Upgraded with the Volume License.  Documentation:  http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/YourPC_do.mspx

As the person or company that assembled the computer, your dealer should have provided you with a systembuilder/OEM license and associated materials:  A genuine Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the computer case itself, a genuine MS hologram XP CDROM, a genuine User Guide thin pamphlet, and of course included on the CD and installed with the OS, the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) that you agree to.  This correct copy of XP should have been preinstalled on the computer when delivered to you, and preinstalled using the correct MS tool so that when you first start it up, you, the End User, are presented with the EULA that you have to agree to to continue using the computer.

This page http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx has a graphic representation of the four items you should have received (COA, EULA, CD, and User Pamphlet).  The newer round top systembuilder/OEM COA (the yellow one) is about a year old and its appearance was changed so as to help differentiate it from the royalty/OEM COA, which is rectangular.  A systembuilder OEM is a smaller company that builds a smaller number of computers, say, a neighborhood computer store; a royalty OEM is a major computer manufacturer such as Dell, Gateway, HP, IBM, Toshiba, Acer, Fujitsu, etc etc.

Saturday, August 5, 2006 2:36 AM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-KP686-D8T7X-HDMQ8
    Windows Product Key Hash: qqt6kUxM7yW5toc+6+PHdNdh2os=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-645-2775716-23518
    ID: 561e02ad-ed13-4d5b-9447-4397d362d735
    Is Admin: No
    Registry: 0x80070005
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.5
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: FCEE394C-438-80070005_025D1FF3-118-80070005
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002_FCEE394C-438-80070005_025D1FF3-118-80070005

Browser Data-->

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\licdll.dll
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\dpcdll.dll
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\crypt32.dll
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\advapi32.dll
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\setupapi.dll
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\pidgen.dll
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\oembios.bin
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\oembios.dat
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\oembios.sig
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\syssetup.dll

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>561e02ad-ed13-4d5b-9447-4397d362d735</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-HDMQ8</PKey><PID>55274-645-2775716-23518</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2052111302-1343024091-725345543</SID><SYSTEM/><BIOS/><HWID>997F35E70184804D</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57292</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Monday, April 16, 2007 1:27 AM
  • product key and vlk is blocked.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 9:09 AM
  • Anonymous #1,234,586,

You have posted to a thread that is over seven months old.

Please start your own thread, and for clarity, DO NOT use the name "Anonymous."

Monday, April 16, 2007 4:47 PM
  •  Magic25 wrote:
    My computer was pre-loaded with Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition; however, at the present time I am getting error messages which state that the Product Key is not valid and the VLK is blocked. I have already taken the computer to the dealer and he said that the problem was taken care of; unfortunately the error still exists. The dealer did not provide me with the Product Key in the documentation which came with my computer. If there is any way to unblock the VLK or if there is any other method to resolve this problem please be sure to let me know. I have sent the dealer e-mails describing the problem and he has not responded to any of the e-mails I have sent.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 5:50 PM
  •  Magic25 wrote:
    My computer was pre-loaded with Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition; however, at the present time I am getting error messages which state that the Product Key is not valid and the VLK is blocked. I have already taken the computer to the dealer and he said that the problem was taken care of; unfortunately the error still exists. The dealer did not provide me with the Product Key in the documentation which came with my computer. If there is any way to unblock the VLK or if there is any other method to resolve this problem please be sure to let me know. I have sent the dealer e-mails describing the problem and he has not responded to any of the e-mails I have sent.
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 5:34 PM
  •  Magic25 wrote:
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 5:51 PM
  • ive been trying to get help with this prob too.pc was ok  to begin with then i get mesage not genuine. unfortunately the place where i got it is no longer in business. i didnt get  disc as it was pre loaded. i dont now how to resolve this. ive looked the windows site about validation. but i dont understand it. i tried to e .mail with details etc. but dont havesuppliers e.mail and i coudnt go any further as it kept coming back to fill it in.im really annoyed as

i paid a good deal money for my pc. any help appreciated

Saturday, May 26, 2007 9:42 PM
  • Tipsy825,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Sunday, May 27, 2007 12:21 AM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0069.0):
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Code: 3
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-QB43V-MVP84-XB3G9
    Windows Product Key Hash: A1dLaQILmLRQ0qy0Y2s2e/QMiDY=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-648-3016911-23640
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {4A811B0E-CC0B-43CC-8186-700981C319FA}(3)
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Version: 1.7.18.7

OGA Data-->
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2920-80070002_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{4A811B0E-CC0B-43CC-8186-700981C319FA}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0069.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-XB3G9</PKey><PID>55274-648-3016911-23640</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1390067357-1767777339-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>To Be Filled By O.E.M. by More String</Manufacturer><Model>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>        </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050524000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>D23B3A5F01846052</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>      <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>39476F84C4B4004</Val><Hash>4iCnywwNW1w4s9ukTIwGMGxyGic=</Hash><Pid>54185-640-0000025-17962</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 10:33 PM
  • A "Blocked VLK" is a Volume License Key that is valid, but was licensed solely to a corporation or larger enterprise/business. Blocked VLK's are Product Keys that Microsoft has received consent from the original owner to block usage of. A VL Product Key is non-transferrable to individuals. In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Windows License Type: Volume  Validation Status: Blocked VLK

Also, your copy of Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage is non-genuine. You'll need to uninstall it, then visit a nearby store that sells computer software and purchase a genuine version of Microsoft Office.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 10:39 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0095.0):
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Code: 3
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-YXRKT-8TG6W-2B7Q8
    Windows Product Key Hash: RVvFciZMdQfJLyDpZteolhaqicQ=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-0000356-23065
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.0.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {77119B26-C7C7-4C45-B6BC-83E29DFD7B29}(3)
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Version: 1.7.18.7

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control:
    Active scripting:
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting:

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{77119B26-C7C7-4C45-B6BC-83E29DFD7B29}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0095.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.0.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-2B7Q8</PKey><PID>55274-640-0000356-23065</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1844237615-1450960922-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>IBM</Manufacturer><Model>831561U</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>IBM</Manufacturer><Version>24KT35AUS</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20021220******.******+***</Date></BIOS><HWID>D890354F01842042</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>      <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Friday, June 27, 2008 7:48 PM
  •  

A "Blocked VLK" is a Volume License Key that is valid, but was licensed solely to a corporation or larger enterprise/business. Blocked VLK's are Product Keys that Microsoft has received consent from the original owner to block usage of. A VL Product Key is non-transferrable to individuals. In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Windows License Type: Volume  Validation Status: Blocked VLK

Friday, June 27, 2008 7:57 PM