Cannot Communicate with the Server. Verify Your Connection and Try Again. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

As indictaed in the title, we often get a "Cannot Communicate with the Server. Verify Your Connection and Try Again." message when using Project Server 2010 (PWA). We mostly get this when submitting tiemsheets or doing progress approvals. Users are thus able to connect to PWA and for example submit their timesheet, but when the timesheet is supposed to reload, the error message is displayed. In other cases, when a user approves time, when the approvals page needs to reload, the error message is displayed. The timesheet submission and approvals do however process as it should. The issue is not user specific and is ad-hoc, thus, sometimes a user gets this mesaage and other times not. We also find that, at the some time, only some users get it. The scenario thus seems very random, but we ideally would like to address this and are hoping someone might have some resolution or advise troubleshooting this further?

Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 7:23 AM

Answers

• Hi Coenraad,

First thing to do is to check the event log on all EPM servers (application, DB and WFE servers) and to check the ULS log for any errors when this problem occurs.

Let us know if any errors are thrown in the logs.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 7:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Coenraad,

First thing to do is to check the event log on all EPM servers (application, DB and WFE servers) and to check the ULS log for any errors when this problem occurs.

Let us know if any errors are thrown in the logs.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 7:39 AM
  • As Hans mentioned, check ULS Log for any errors, primafacie it seems to be problem with network connectivity wherein PWA request is not being properly served and at time when they try to communicate the connection disrupts, could be at any level like DB, App Server, WFE

So the best place to start with is ULS log, apart from this if you have load balanced WFE, one of that might not be working properly so when the request is routed through the bad WFE they don't get processed, whereas when the request are handled by the good WFE it works, Just a pointer, as in most of the similar cases WFE have been found to be problematic,

also check event logs on each server for errors, this might narrow down you to specific server which might be causing problem.  

Thanks Sunil Kr Singh
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 7:47 AM