Configure Outlook Client to different Server rollup version RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I do not find any answer for this topic on the internet:

My Outlook client is in Rollup 18. The server is still in Rollup 12.

Is it possible to link my Outlook Client to the CRM server without any issues?

Thanks in advance, Jeppen

Jeppen Twitter: @DoSTHGreat

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:22 AM

Answers

• Best practice is to have everything at the same rollup level.

It is possible for Outlook clients to run at different rollup levels than CRM servers.  You can see this when you do an upgrade of the CRM server.  Your Outlook clients can access the upgraded CRM server until you can update them after.

The reason you should try to keep everything at the same rollup level is that sometimes a fix for a specific issue requires an update to both the CRM server and Outlook client.  In that instance, the bug would not be fixed because one side wouldn't have been patched.

You should also take care to ensure that the email router is at the same rollup level as the CRM server if the email router is installed on the CRM server.  They share some DLL's.  So installing the CRM server rollup but not the email router rollup in this example would cause issues for the email router when it attempts to use one or more of the share DLL's that were updated.  I have seen this issue in the past.

In short, running the Outlook client and the CRM server at different rollup levels, while not recommended, could be done on a short term until the other side can be updated.  You can read through the kb article discussing the rollup fixes, but not everything that is fixed is published in those kb articles, nor is everything covered in enough detail.

If you find that the Outlook clients are always jumping ahead in rollups because of the Windows Update setting, you may consider changing that setting on the user machine by group policy, and then pushing updates centrally when ready.

Jason Peterson

• Marked as answer by Jeppen Friday, April 10, 2015 6:50 AM
    Thursday, April 9, 2015 9:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Jeppen,

Not sure if you have received answer to your query, it will be good to post the details of the CRM version as well to get the right answer from people.

I Just did a quick search on CRM 2013 update roll up, opened the link for UR3 of CRM 2013, in that it says, this roll up doesn't include any client update and is compatible with it's lower versions. Below is the link to the KB.

http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2930480

In your case the client is in higher version than the server, so may or may not be supported. Good to search for that specific version of UR and read the details, you may find the answer.

Regards Jeevan Please vote for me if you find the answer is useful.

Thursday, April 9, 2015 10:48 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your answer. We are using CRM 2011. I've read articles if there are any issue with different Rollup versions and the answer was yes.

Just wanted to double check.

I'm leaving the question open for now.

Best, Jeppen

Thursday, April 9, 2015 10:55 AM
  • Best practice is to have everything at the same rollup level.

It is possible for Outlook clients to run at different rollup levels than CRM servers.  You can see this when you do an upgrade of the CRM server.  Your Outlook clients can access the upgraded CRM server until you can update them after.

The reason you should try to keep everything at the same rollup level is that sometimes a fix for a specific issue requires an update to both the CRM server and Outlook client.  In that instance, the bug would not be fixed because one side wouldn't have been patched.

You should also take care to ensure that the email router is at the same rollup level as the CRM server if the email router is installed on the CRM server.  They share some DLL's.  So installing the CRM server rollup but not the email router rollup in this example would cause issues for the email router when it attempts to use one or more of the share DLL's that were updated.  I have seen this issue in the past.

In short, running the Outlook client and the CRM server at different rollup levels, while not recommended, could be done on a short term until the other side can be updated.  You can read through the kb article discussing the rollup fixes, but not everything that is fixed is published in those kb articles, nor is everything covered in enough detail.

If you find that the Outlook clients are always jumping ahead in rollups because of the Windows Update setting, you may consider changing that setting on the user machine by group policy, and then pushing updates centrally when ready.

Jason Peterson

• Marked as answer by Jeppen Friday, April 10, 2015 6:50 AM
    Thursday, April 9, 2015 9:49 PM
  • OK Great. Thanks for your detailed answer.

• Edited by Jeppen Friday, April 10, 2015 6:50 AM
    Friday, April 10, 2015 6:50 AM