Install WD Lifeguard Diagnostics on WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HP Ex485 w/ four 1 TB WD Caviar Black drives and have been having some ntfs errors reported in the event viewer.  I have run chkdsk /x /f /r several times with no problems found.  Before I yell at HP about a possible controller problem, I'd like to run WD's Lifeguard diagnostics on these drives.  Can I install Lifeguard on my server and will it function on the drive pool?  The only other thread I found concerning this is http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/f6355b76-856d-4151-a8e3-876ecf96d265/.  The OP used Lifeguard, but doesn't really say if it was installed on WHS or not.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 2:19 PM

Answers

• Guess I kinda answered my own question.  In the process of troubleshooting this thing I have offloaded all my critical files and removed 3 drives from the pool.  I figured the worst that could happen was I'd have to reinstall WHS, so I did an "unsupported" thing and installed Lifeguard.  It recognizes the drives whether or not they are included in the pool.  So, removing them from the pool is evidently not necessary.  I'm running Lifeguard on the #1 drive (system) now.  It looks like this will work...

As for WD's RMA service, I wish I could find a bad drive.  However, after lots of chkdsk runs with no errors found, I'm suspicious that I have a controller failing and may have to do battle with HP.
    • Marked as answer by Cedarcreek Friday, August 28, 2009 3:06 PM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 3:05 PM

All replies

• That might work, but a surefire way to do it is to shutdown the server, and remove one disk at a time, checking it on another computer. This will work for you (it worked for me).
    Friday, August 28, 2009 2:31 PM
  • Yes, I can do that, but with 4 drives and the diagnostics taking over 2 hours each, I was hoping I could run it on WHS and not slow down my client for over 8 hours.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 2:33 PM
  • From another post, it seems possible to run the utility on the server itself.
    I'm more than a bit concerned since it's supposed to be able to cope with one drive failing, it's not the system drive so it should all be fine, i run the Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics on my drives and find the faulty one, yep, it faulty alright. [Thread Here]

Good luck in figuring out which drive is malfunctioning. WD has a very good RMA Service as well, so you won't need to rush out and buy a replacement for the bad drive.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 2:47 PM
  • You could do two things:
    Install the Add-In WHS Disk Management, which allows you to check the SMART info of the disks. Maybe you find some hints there.
    The other option has already been mentioned, I recommend to use a Windows 7 or Vista OS for that, since chkdsk here is more robust.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, August 28, 2009 2:57 PM
  • Guess I kinda answered my own question.  In the process of troubleshooting this thing I have offloaded all my critical files and removed 3 drives from the pool.  I figured the worst that could happen was I'd have to reinstall WHS, so I did an "unsupported" thing and installed Lifeguard.  It recognizes the drives whether or not they are included in the pool.  So, removing them from the pool is evidently not necessary.  I'm running Lifeguard on the #1 drive (system) now.  It looks like this will work...

As for WD's RMA service, I wish I could find a bad drive.  However, after lots of chkdsk runs with no errors found, I'm suspicious that I have a controller failing and may have to do battle with HP.
    • Marked as answer by Cedarcreek Friday, August 28, 2009 3:06 PM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 3:05 PM
  • Controller or a cable not seated properly could be potential reasons, besides temperature, faulty electronics on a disk etc.
    The category of unloved bugs, since they cannot easy be targetted.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, August 28, 2009 6:21 PM