Outlook Contacts not getting removed RRS feed

• Question

• (Asking this question a bit differently since I did not get any responses yesterday)

When our Outlook users initally sycnhed to CRM, they downloaded about 7500 contacts into their contacts.

We have updated the default filters so that no CRM contacts meet the synch requirements (we don't want any contacts synche'd to Outlook).

But none of the existing CRM contacts are getting removed when the user's manually synch their Outlook with CRM.

What conditions need to be met in order for contacts to be removed during a synch?

-tomas

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:55 PM

Answers

• The fact that the user's "owned" the contact is your exact problem.  If they own the contact then Outlook will not remove them from Outlook.  You need to either:

1. Reassign all the contacts to a test user so that they are removed from the user's Outlook contact list

2. If Contacts should never be synched, then you can just disable the Contact filter in their client and delete the CRM Contacts in Outlook.  YOu can sort by the Icon and delete any of the ones that have the CRM Contact icon (little blue/green business card looking icon. It's definitely different from the standard Outlook Contact icon.  The caveat is that once it's deleted, the contact will not sync back to Outlook at all but it sounds like that is what you want.

Jeremy

Jeremy Winchell
    Avtex
    Visit the Avtex Blog

• Marked as answer by DadKind Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:28 PM
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 4:36 PM

All replies

• Who owns the contact records in CRM (user/team)?  Traditionally when it synched "My Contacts", if you stopped synching that Contact, it remained in Outlook as you were the owner.  If you changed the owner of the specified contact and then kicked off the sync it would remove it.

How did the initial 7,500 contacts get synched?  The default rule is "My Contacts", so was that changed initially?  Also, it's worth validating that the client is set as the synchronizing client just to be sure (File -> CRM -> Options -> Synchronization,  done in the Outlook Client).  Is the Outlook Filter rule for Contacts "Active" or "Inactive"?

Jeremy

Jeremy Winchell
    Avtex
    Visit the Avtex Blog

Thursday, February 16, 2012 12:09 AM
  • There are about 100K contacts altogether. The typical field rep has about 7500 contacts that they "own". Which is where they got the contacts in the first place. Because the contact's information contains some sensitive information, company policy is that none of the contacts should synch to Outlook (I guess they didn't think about this when first rolling out CRM). The only access to contacts will be through the CRM interface.

I followed the instructions here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg328205.aspx and have a small app that I can use to create a new default filter template and a new system filter which will return an empty set of contacts. This works and can be rolled out now. But in testing I encountered a fatal catch-22:

If I put the new restrictive filters in place, I can no longer synch my contacts since the restrictive filters prevent me from synching my Outlook contacts with CRM. So I can't un-assign/remove the contacts from their current users.

As I write this, I think that (with the existing/out-of-the-box filters in place) I need to re-assign the contacts to my "dummy" owner (to remove them from the user's Outlook lists). Then put the restrictive filters in place and re-assign the contacts to their real owners. Since the new rules are now in place, nothing will synch to Outlook.

Time to test things out.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 4:31 PM
  • The fact that the user's "owned" the contact is your exact problem.  If they own the contact then Outlook will not remove them from Outlook.  You need to either:

1. Reassign all the contacts to a test user so that they are removed from the user's Outlook contact list

2. If Contacts should never be synched, then you can just disable the Contact filter in their client and delete the CRM Contacts in Outlook.  YOu can sort by the Icon and delete any of the ones that have the CRM Contact icon (little blue/green business card looking icon. It's definitely different from the standard Outlook Contact icon.  The caveat is that once it's deleted, the contact will not sync back to Outlook at all but it sounds like that is what you want.

Jeremy

Jeremy Winchell
    Avtex
    Visit the Avtex Blog

• Marked as answer by DadKind Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:28 PM
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 4:36 PM