Mixing Bing APIs into one Search RRS feed

• Question

• We have recently released an API and a Search Development Environment (SDE) which allows the mixing of multiple APIs into one cool search. You can find out more at SearchClash.com  For example Bing Web and Bing News could be combined or Bing Web and Twitter Search etc...  We are excited for the new Bing search and the Bing API team! 

Cheers!
    Lovely Day for a Lonestar.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 5:41 PM

Answers

• Be extra careful to respect the Terms of Use. Only the sourceType Web allows interleaving and reordering of the results, and when results are interleaved, they need to be always distinguishable as different from the others.

HTH

--Alessandro

• Marked as answer by AlessC Saturday, May 30, 2009 6:06 AM
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 6:06 AM

All replies

• Be extra careful to respect the Terms of Use. Only the sourceType Web allows interleaving and reordering of the results, and when results are interleaved, they need to be always distinguishable as different from the others.

HTH

--Alessandro

• Marked as answer by AlessC Saturday, May 30, 2009 6:06 AM
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 6:06 AM
  • Alessandro,

What if BuildaSearch is simply offering the service for mixing around results between different APIs from different sources?  Who would be in violation of Terms BuildaSearch or the User?  Users would have to use their own APPID etc...  On our next release of fixes we will be adding some sort of mark which will distinguish "bing" from other results.  Here is an example of what the SearchClash API does: http://89.233.173.65/ytwit/   (the link will be taken down within 5 days)
    • Edited by LonelyBeer Saturday, May 30, 2009 2:14 PM fixing
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 2:13 PM
  • I am not a lawyer, so it is hard to give you an authoritative answer on a licensing question.

From a superficial analysis, it would seem that the entity responsible for an AppID is its owner. This would mean that it is the user of BuildaSearch becoming a user of another service (for example Bing) and violating the terms of use.
    On the other hand, you don't want to have to deal with the problem of encouraging a behavior that will lead your customer to get a bad user experience because they may get cut off. They will get mad at you too in the end :-)

What you are doing seems OK to me. What I would do is making sure that the known issues are well called out in your FAQs and have some samples to guide towards best practices.

As usual, I love what you are doing :-)
    Keep the feedback coming.

HTH

--Alessandro

Sunday, May 31, 2009 6:13 AM
  • Alessandro,

Thanks for your explanation and feedback!  A lot of changes will be made as the SearchClash API progresses.  At this point I realized that results are not rearrange but simple combined with another API as such.   

SearchClash API V0.5
    ==============
    1.) Bing API Result
    2.) Twitter API Result
    3.) Bing API Result
    4.) Twitter API Result
    etc....

Not sure if the above is considered rearranging of results...
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 10:39 AM
  • A working demo is provided for the above explanation:  http://buildasearch.com/sample/

Sunday, June 7, 2009 8:40 PM