none
One PC loses connection after one access attempt to HS, other PC's are fine. RRS feed

• Question

• New Home Server user here. Have an issues I can't seem to track down and did not see it on the first few pages of posts.

Have 6 workgroup computers connected to and backed up by Home Server. All XP SP3 except one which is Win7 RC. Workgroup setting with Linksys router for DHCP. Pretty much everything works fine - backups, share access, and remote console function. Been running for about 2 months now.

However, one PC loses all access to the Home Server if I attempt to access shares or use the remote console. I get in one time - I can open say pictures in Shared Folders. But after going in one time I get permission errors to the share. I also get "can not connect" errors attempting access from the systray console. I can't access the Home Server through network neighborhood either (though I can ping it fine by name).

Oddly the Systray Icon shows healthy green and the backups run fine on the problem desktop.

I can see everything else on the workgroup network fine - only have connection issues with the Home Server. The other five PC's can readily access all Home Server function without an issue at all times - never a problem.

Sometimes repeated reboots will get me back for one quick connection. Reinstalling the client piece on the desktop fixes it for one or two access attempts as well before the connection fails again.

thanks

Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:02 PM

All replies

• New Home Server user here. Have an issues I can't seem to track down and did not see it on the first few pages of posts.

Have 6 workgroup computers connected to and backed up by Home Server. All XP SP3 except one which is Win7 RC. Workgroup setting with Linksys router for DHCP. Pretty much everything works fine - backups, share access, and remote console function. Been running for about 2 months now.

However, one PC loses all access to the Home Server if I attempt to access shares or use the remote console. I get in one time - I can open say pictures in Shared Folders. But after going in one time I get permission errors to the share. I also get "can not connect" errors attempting access from the systray console. I can't access the Home Server through network neighborhood either (though I can ping it fine by name).

Oddly the Systray Icon shows healthy green and the backups run fine on the problem desktop.

I can see everything else on the workgroup network fine - only have connection issues with the Home Server. The other five PC's can readily access all Home Server function without an issue at all times - never a problem.

Sometimes repeated reboots will get me back for one quick connection. Reinstalling the client piece on the desktop fixes it for one or two access attempts as well before the connection fails again.

thanks

You might try looking for updates to your NIC driver (or uninstall it, reboot the client, then install the drivers again).
    Friday, June 12, 2009 4:06 AM
  • Gave the NIC suggestions a try - but problem persists.
    Thanks for the reponse in any case.
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 4:57 AM