home server backup cleanup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi over the last couple of weeks i'v not been able to do a cleanup of my backups that have been marked to be deleted, it gets to about 5% and just sits there doing nothing else. I've searched around the forum and in other websites as well but carn't find any help can anyone offer any advice
    cheers
    Nigel
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 8:11 PM

Answers

• Probably your backup database is corrupted.

You can try using the repair option from the WHS console, Settings Menu, Backup Tab. 

If this fails the easiest way out is to delete all backups (Also from the Settings, Backup Menu) and start Backups from scratch. If you need specific files from your backup you can try and recover them before deleting the backup database.
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 9:05 PM

All replies

• Probably your backup database is corrupted.

You can try using the repair option from the WHS console, Settings Menu, Backup Tab. 

If this fails the easiest way out is to delete all backups (Also from the Settings, Backup Menu) and start Backups from scratch. If you need specific files from your backup you can try and recover them before deleting the backup database.
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 9:05 PM
  • Hi Nigel,
    which version of Windows Home Server is shown in the console under settings/ressources (free translation back from German version)?
    How much overall storage space is still free?
    Do you see any errors or warnings in the event log of the server (if you log in locally, under Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer)?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 9:12 PM
  • Hi Olaf server version is Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0 & i'm getting the following error message

Faulting application whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.1800.24, faulting module whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.1800.24, fault address 0x0001d362.
    i've also tried to repair the backup database and get the all clear when its finished
    cheers all

Nigel

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 11:32 PM
  • Hi Nigel,
    seems the only option is to delete the complete backup. Is it this, what you said with "get all clear"?
    Sometimes a failure in the backup database cannot be repaired, since there is no redundancy (besides the still existing PCs, which can usually be backed up again). In this case deleting the backups and starting them from the scratch, as brubber said, may be really the only option.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 11:53 AM