WHS2011 Problems From the Start RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a Dell, desktop style, server about one year ago. It was a fairly high end machine at the time. I decided to purchase, and install, WHS2011 on it. I had the earlier version of WHS on our previous server and it worked fairly well. After installing the OS everything seemed to be working as expected. I was able to get all of my PC's backups established and working. I then moved our QuickBooks files over to it, and that's when my problems began. QB, running on any other PC, could not access the file. As long as I was running it locally it worked fine. After many hours of web searching I finally found a site that described the process to allow QB access to the files from other PCs, and everything seemed to be working fine after that. Maybe something I did to make this work caused some of the problems I'm having now, but I didn't notice any issues for several weeks. Then again, I was in the process of moving quite a lot of data over, and several other things to prepare for the swap out. At first I stated noticing that the Launchpad program on the other PC's would not accept the user names & passwords for the users I created, and that the daily backups had stopped working. I was still able to browse all the files I needed to access, and QB was still working fine. But occasionally I would have to reboot each of the PCs (especially after they went to sleep, or hibernation mode) in order to access certain folders on the server. I have recently discovered that the server can't seem to see any of the other PCs on the network. The pass few days I've been trying to resolve these issues by searching the web, but have had no luck finding anyone have similar problems. I'm almost at wit's end with this whole process. I'm considering just purchasing a good NAS, and doing away with this server all together. All I need is a good file server with automatic PC backup capabilities.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Thomasic

Friday, November 22, 2013 5:38 AM

All replies

• maybe it's not caused by a certain reason. seems  complications from several different problems. check relevant errors on event viewer,,,

-->I'm considering just purchasing a good NAS, and doing away with this server all together. All I need is a good file server with automatic PC backup capabilities.

in my view it will hard to solve those issue. your current considering will be better way...

Best,

Howtodo

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:25 PM