My WHS is stuck on Power Pack 1 - no further updates are available?! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi team - I seem to have a weird issue.  My WHS Console is reporting itself to be

Windows Home Server with Power Pack 1

Everythign I've read is that I should be able to get Power Pack 3 via my Windows Updates - but nothing has is available through it no matter which way I try. 

Can anyone help me?
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 8:49 PM

Answers

• See this FAQ.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 9:22 PM
  • That's power pack 1, yes. Best (fastest) resolution is to try another server recovery, assuming the Update button in the console isn't bringing down any updates.
    Friday, March 5, 2010 9:05 PM

All replies

• See this FAQ.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 9:22 PM
  • Hi Ken

Thanks for the reply and apologies for my poor grammar and spelling in my previous post!   Was at night and had had a very long day.

I've read your helpful FAQ  and in my Resources view it doesn't give me a build number at all.   I did more research last night and when looking at my Windows Updates History it did show that Power Pack 2 had been installed.  However in my Add/Remove programs there was nothing there to uninstall.

I ran an aggressive Microsoft Fix-It program in a hopes of resetting the update to reinstall everythign.   Unforuntately the reset worked and wiped my history but still I don't see any updates available!

Thinking this through I'm wondering if I've hit some weird bug -  I was running hte WHS PP3 Eval to try things out.   Then I decided to buy but of course there is no simple upgrade path from Eval to Retail and needed to reinstall WHS totally (instead of just being able to put in the product key).   Because I had been using it constantly for awhile I had a large media library I didn't fancy having to move around (infact I don't have enough space on my local machines to do this!)

So I just installed WHS ontop of the current install without the need to format.   This worked and I didn't lose any of my files.  

WHat the worry is there might be something with the Windows Update since the history says I updated to PP2 and the date was before I installed the new copy of WHS. 

Ideally there would be an offline version of the PP2 installation but combing through the Microsoft Download Center I can't find one.   I did find PP1 and tried to install it but gave me an error saying Update Does Not Apply to Installed Version.

The other piece of information that might be important, I don't know,  is that I built my machine and have used an OEM copy of WHS (from Amazon.co.uk) - would this be an issue?

Thanks for your help to date

CC
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 7:50 AM
  • In the Settings window, Resources view, there's a list of Windows Home Server components and version numbers. Are you saying that that list is blank? If so, try another reinstallation because something is rather broken right now...
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:33 PM
  • ah right ok - so all mine are at 6.0.1800.0 so that is PP1 RTM?
    Friday, March 5, 2010 8:00 PM
  • That's power pack 1, yes. Best (fastest) resolution is to try another server recovery, assuming the Update button in the console isn't bringing down any updates.
    Friday, March 5, 2010 9:05 PM
    ...and reboot the server before checking for updates (in case there were some that got installed at some point that required a reboot which never happened).
    Friday, March 5, 2010 9:43 PM
  • Thanks to you both - appreciate the advice and will follow the path of a recovery.   It was the solution I was hoping to avoid!  I'm not sure why but with Power Pack 2 and 3 it's not available as a standalone download like Power Pack 1 is.   I'm assuming if I could get it as standalone I could try to install it that way. 

Does anyone know if there is a way to get Power Pack 2 as a standalone?

Saturday, March 6, 2010 8:18 AM
  • Power Packs 2 and 3 are distributed only through Windows Updates.
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 3:01 PM
  • Sadly the only successful path was to completely reinstall, fressh, the server.   I'm now back up and running with PP3.

If I had to guess what happened, I went from a fully used and patched (PP3) Eval version, bought a licensed copy, installed that overtop the eval (so I didn't lose my data), and somewhere along the way it messed up my updates history - such that I was on PP1 but it thought I was at PP3.

Unfortunately there just isn't a way of going from EVAL to RTM by adding in a new product key, a reinstall has to happen at some stage and in this case it need to be a full clean install.

Lesson here is literally just try out the eval - don't go using it in anger as there is no good upgrade path (having to move over 1.5 TB of data around ain't fun).

Thanks Ken and kairya21 for your help.   And if any decision makers from MS read this - it would be good to either get these types of upgrade paths (from Eval to RTM) solved or at least lower your support incident prices because this is something to do with your software that is not documented at all.
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 8:19 AM