Ok, I can't seem to fix it on my own. RRS feed

• Question

• Currently having a problem with the windows update on my machine. I have the Home edition of Windows XP that was pre-installed on my Dell computer. Have run the diagnostics that are talked about here to no avail.

Why didn't my machine complete validation?

You have encountered an unknown error. Please contact your local product support team for further assistance with this issue.

[0x80080299]

I seem to be having a recurring problem with scripts as well as activex even though I have gone into my internet options and practically enabled everything in the list. I am at a loss, and any assistance I could get would be greatly appreciated.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GD6GR-K6DP3-4C8MT
    Windows Product Key Hash: s2kt66ZJWfV4nS1wFD5F9bxTSDw=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2111907-00102
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: 37c05255-43c7-40c9-a813-e686a84b479e
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 70AFE6BE-116-800401f3_63BB5E84-365-800401f3_E2AD56EA-252-800401f3_16E0B333-138-800401f3_70AFE6BE-116-800401f3_63BB5E84-365-800401f3_E2AD56EA-252-800401f3_16E0B333-57-800401f3
    Resolution Status: N/A
    Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft
    OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 70AFE6BE-116-800401f3_63BB5E84-365-800401f3_E2AD56EA-252-800401f3_16E0B333-57-800401f3_B4D0AA8B-910-800401f3
    Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Allowed
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Allowed
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Allowed
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Allowed
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed
    File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\oembios.bin
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\oembios.dat
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\oembios.sig
    Other data-->
    Office Details:

Let me know if there is any additional information that you require. Thanks again!

Brian Nadeau
    Friday, June 8, 2007 5:11 AM

Answers

• Brian_Nadeau,

Please try the solution below, previously posted by Darin Smith of Microsoft----the problem that he was responding to was very similar to the problem you posted.  Post back to tell us if it worked for you.

This is an issue with your XML services on your computer. If you compare your diagnostic report with others on the forum, you will notice that you are missing a bunch of text at the bottom of your report. We call this the XML Blob. We have found that the 299 error in conjunction with the missing XML Blob means that either that the file msxml3.dll is unregistered (which means the registry key  ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSXML.DOMDocument’  is missing) or msxml3.dll is missing/corrupt.

To fix your issue, follow the below steps:

1) Click 'Start' button, then 'Run...'

2) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>
    (Note: This will register the msxml3.dll and the registry entry ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSXML.DOMDocument’ will be generated)

If this does not work, the msxml3.dll may be missing or corrupt. Follow the below steps, in that case:

1) Go to the 'Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7)' download page at  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=28494391-052b-42ff-9674-f752bdca9582&DisplayLang=en

2) From the files available, download “msxml3.msi”

3) Double click the file and follow the steps to install.

4) After the install is complete, click 'Start' button, then 'Run...'

5) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>

Thank you,

Darin Smith

MGA Forum Program Manager

--------------------------------------------------------
    All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Friday, June 8, 2007 1:56 PM
  • Ok, finally had some time to follow the instructions given, with not good results.

After trying the regsvr32 msxml3.dll command I got the error DllRegisterServer in msxml3.dll failed.

Return code was: 0x80004005.

So failing that I moved on to the next group of instructions. Successfully downloaded the msxml3.msi windows installer package to my desktop and proceeded to click the run button. Clicked next then accepted the terms, clicked next, input my user name and org? Not sure what I was supposed to put there so I just put my name and my org I listed as home? Clicked next and then clicked the install button on the next screen. The install gets as far as publishing product information (about 2 seconds into the install), when I get an error window popup.

Installer information

A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C:\Documents and settings\Brian01\Desktop\msxml3[1].msi

when I click the ok button, the parser setup screen shows up and says that the Microsoft XML Parser Setup Wizard ended prematurely with the following text.

Microsoft XML Parser setup ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, please run the installation again.

Click the Finish button to exit the Setup Wizard.

So I clicked finish and exited the program. That was yesterday, and so I tried again this morning with the exact same results. I can't seem to install the msxml3.msi in safe mode either. I'm not sure what programs that I use here to install things, but i'm guessing more than one are corrupted or missing vital pieces of them necessary to work correctly. Sorry i'm not probably using any correct technical terms to explain things.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Brian Nadeau

Saturday, June 9, 2007 7:38 PM
  • Brian_Nadeau,

The number and complexity of errors you are experiencing while trying to correct this problem lead me to think that there is an issue larger than what can be addressed on a message board such as this one.

May I suggest that you submit a free email WGA support request at this link:  http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

Good Luck and if you have a chance, post back to tell us what the problem was and how it turned out

Monday, June 11, 2007 12:23 AM

All replies

• Brian_Nadeau,

Please try the solution below, previously posted by Darin Smith of Microsoft----the problem that he was responding to was very similar to the problem you posted.  Post back to tell us if it worked for you.

This is an issue with your XML services on your computer. If you compare your diagnostic report with others on the forum, you will notice that you are missing a bunch of text at the bottom of your report. We call this the XML Blob. We have found that the 299 error in conjunction with the missing XML Blob means that either that the file msxml3.dll is unregistered (which means the registry key  ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSXML.DOMDocument’  is missing) or msxml3.dll is missing/corrupt.

To fix your issue, follow the below steps:

1) Click 'Start' button, then 'Run...'

2) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>
    (Note: This will register the msxml3.dll and the registry entry ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSXML.DOMDocument’ will be generated)

If this does not work, the msxml3.dll may be missing or corrupt. Follow the below steps, in that case:

1) Go to the 'Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7)' download page at  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=28494391-052b-42ff-9674-f752bdca9582&DisplayLang=en

2) From the files available, download “msxml3.msi”

3) Double click the file and follow the steps to install.

4) After the install is complete, click 'Start' button, then 'Run...'

5) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>

Thank you,

Darin Smith

MGA Forum Program Manager

--------------------------------------------------------
    All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Friday, June 8, 2007 1:56 PM
  • Ok, finally had some time to follow the instructions given, with not good results.

After trying the regsvr32 msxml3.dll command I got the error DllRegisterServer in msxml3.dll failed.

Return code was: 0x80004005.

So failing that I moved on to the next group of instructions. Successfully downloaded the msxml3.msi windows installer package to my desktop and proceeded to click the run button. Clicked next then accepted the terms, clicked next, input my user name and org? Not sure what I was supposed to put there so I just put my name and my org I listed as home? Clicked next and then clicked the install button on the next screen. The install gets as far as publishing product information (about 2 seconds into the install), when I get an error window popup.

Installer information

A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C:\Documents and settings\Brian01\Desktop\msxml3[1].msi

when I click the ok button, the parser setup screen shows up and says that the Microsoft XML Parser Setup Wizard ended prematurely with the following text.

Microsoft XML Parser setup ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, please run the installation again.

Click the Finish button to exit the Setup Wizard.

So I clicked finish and exited the program. That was yesterday, and so I tried again this morning with the exact same results. I can't seem to install the msxml3.msi in safe mode either. I'm not sure what programs that I use here to install things, but i'm guessing more than one are corrupted or missing vital pieces of them necessary to work correctly. Sorry i'm not probably using any correct technical terms to explain things.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Brian Nadeau

Saturday, June 9, 2007 7:38 PM
  • Brian_Nadeau,

The number and complexity of errors you are experiencing while trying to correct this problem lead me to think that there is an issue larger than what can be addressed on a message board such as this one.

May I suggest that you submit a free email WGA support request at this link:  http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

Good Luck and if you have a chance, post back to tell us what the problem was and how it turned out

Monday, June 11, 2007 12:23 AM